Language Translation
  Close Menu

File an Environmental Complaint

  • IDEM
  • Contact
  • Current: File an Environmental Complaint

Complaint Coordinator

The Complaint Coordinator is IDEM’s central point of contact for complaints about polluting activities. IDEM's policy is to take the first action in response to a complaint within 30 days of receiving the complaint, and to address each complaint within 90 days. The agency routinely works with other local, state and federal agencies to address environmental concerns.

How do I file a complaint?

You can file a complaint with IDEM three different ways:

  1. Submit a complaint online
  2. Call the Complaint Coordinator at (800) 451-6027 Option 3
  3. Print, complete, and mail a paper-based Complaint Submission Form (available on the IDEM Agency Forms page)

Can I remain anonymous?

Yes. You do not have to provide any personal information (such as name, phone number) when filing a complaint. Providing personal information enables IDEM to contact you for further information and keep you updated on the progress of the complaint investigation. However, any information you submit to IDEM can become public record and subject to public records laws. The best way to file a complaint anonymously is to fill out the online form.

To check on the status of an anonymous complaint, individuals should call the IDEM Complaint Coordinator at (800) 451-6027 Option 3. Individuals who call for information on an investigation may remain anonymous.

What kinds of activities does IDEM have the authority to address?

IDEM has the authority to address complaints about a variety of environmental concerns and to ensure compliance with the air, land and water permits issued by the agency. Inspectors also investigate complaints or concerns about:

  • Open burning of trash or other materials,
  • Asbestos removal,
  • Fugitive dust,
  • Proper use of outdoor hydronic heaters,
  • Open dumping of trash or other debris,
  • Manure handling and storage by regulated farms,
  • Handling and storage of hazardous wastes,
  • Problems with drinking water systems and wastewater systems,
  • Storm water run-off from construction or industrial activities, and
  • Activities in wetlands.

What kinds of activities are not handled by IDEM?

IDEM does not handle indoor air quality complaints (like mold or lead-based paint removal), complaints about residential septic systems, mosquito or other rodent infestations, or conditions of retail food establishments. You should contact your local health department or the Indiana State Department of Health.

IDEM does not regulate or have the authority to address complaints and issues that are associated with storm water quantity, including flooding, drainage, or excessive run-off. These issues are typically addressed through local ordinances and building codes and should be directed to your local municipal or county governmental entity.

IDEM does not regulate the use of pesticides or fertilizers. Contact the Office of Indiana State Chemist for more information.

IDEM does not regulate workplace safety. Please contact the Indiana Department of Labor to file a complaint.

What Information Should I Provide?

The following information will be helpful to IDEM when you are filing a complaint or notifying the agency of a violation:

  • Name(s) of suspected violator
  • Detailed description of the activity you observed
  • Location of the activity (such as a physical address, driving directions, or the name of a location, like a stream or creek, the suspected violation took place)
  • Date(s) you observed the activity
  • Is the activity ongoing?

If you choose not to file anonymously, you may also provide your name and contact information.

 Top FAQs