Language Translation
  Close Menu

What IDEM Regulates

Many of the requirements of Indiana’s Confined Feeding Program apply to confined feeding operations (CFOs) of all sizes. Some requirements apply only to concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). The United States Environmental Protection Agency only requires states to regulate CAFO-sized farms that intend to discharge liquids to waters of the United States. However, IDEM regulates both CFOs and CAFO-sized farms under Indiana’s confined feeding operation rules, which are more stringent than federal regulations.

Activities IDEM Regulates Under the Confined Feeding Law

  • Facility design, construction, and maintenance
  • Facility setbacks from streams, wells, roads, property boundaries, and residences
  • Manure handling and storage
  • Manure application rates and setbacks
  • Monitoring and record keeping
  • Storm water run-off from the production area
  • Closure of manure storage structures
  • The handling of emergency spills
  • Waste digesters located on a CFO regulated site

IDEM Does Not Regulate

Property Values

Contact your local assessor.

Public Road Conditions and Traffic

Contact the Indiana Department of Transportation about national and state roads and your local highway department about county roads.

Where CFOs and CAFOs Locate

IDEM implements state and federal laws and regulations established for CFOs and CAFOs. IDEM’s approval of a new or expanding CFO or CAFO does not relieve farm owners and operators from complying with any local zoning requirements. Contact your local planning and zoning office.

Disposal of Dead Animals

Contact the Indiana State Board of Animal Health.

Ground Water Use

Contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.


IDEM does not regulate odors from farms. The agency provides farmers with guidance on best management practices to reduce odors. IDEM does have a separate permitting process for waste digesters, which can use manure as a feedstock and may be located at a farm. Waste digesters can improve air quality by reducing odors. IDEM monitors and inspects those facilities on a regular basis.

Vectors (flies, mosquitoes, or other nuisance insects)

Contact your county health department.

 Top FAQs