Language Translation
  Close Menu

How This Affects You

Animal Farmers

IDEM can guide those who are planning to operate or start construction or expansion of a confined feeding operation (CFO) or a concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) through the requirements of Indiana’s Confined Feeding Program. Agency staff work with farmers to ensure their farms operate in a manner that meets the requirements and protects Hoosiers and Indiana’s environment. IDEM encourages farmers to contact the agency for help and to access resources, including the Guidance Manual for Indiana’s Confined Feeding Program (see Laws and Rules).

Indiana Citizens

IDEM wants Indiana citizens to be informed and get the information and assistance they need to address any issues they might have with CFOs or CAFOs. The What IDEM Regulates page outlines what IDEM has the authority to regulate, which issues are outside of its control, and which agencies address those issues.

If IDEM receives a permit application from a farmer who wants to build a CFO or CAFO, the farmer is required to notify all residents within a one-half mile radius of the proposed farm location, adjoining property owners, and the county commissioners. The public can write the IDEM permit manager and state their thoughts about the proposal. They also may write their local zoning officials and state legislators.

The IDEM Public Notices page provides listings of all agency public notices. If a CFO or CAFO applies for an NPDES Individual Permit under 327 Indiana Administrative Code 15-16, IDEM will issue a public notice for the draft permit. Under the Confined Feeding Operation Rule, Citizens’ Guide to IDEM provides general information on public participation. The Public Notification, Comment Periods, and Appeals section of IDEM’s Guidance Manual for Indiana’s Confined Feeding Program describes how public comments can be submitted during the application review and how the public is informed of the final decision. It also explains how the final decision may be appealed.

Please contact IDEM for assistance, to file a complaint, or to report a spill or environmental emergency.

 Top FAQs