All individuals and companies who work with asbestos must be licensed in Indiana. Asbestos workers may specialize in one or more disciplines (such as inspector, worker, project supervisor, management planner, project designer, contractor, and training course provider). All applicants for asbestos licenses must:
- Attend an Indiana-approved training course for their selected discipline(s).
- Applicants can find Indiana-licensed training course providers in the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency’s free Search and Verify database.
- Any individual who has had an 24-month lapse between two training courses for the same discipline must attend an initial training course for the discipline.
- Pass the training course provider’s written exam(s).
- Meet the qualifications for their particular discipline(s), which include education, work experience, and training course requirements.
- Complete the application process for their selected discipline(s).
- Contractors who are applying for their initial license must mail, fax, email or hand deliver a properly completed Application for Asbestos Contractor License - State Form 52575 to IDEM at the address listed on the form.
- Contractors may use, but should not submit, the Application Checksheet for Asbestos Contractor - State Form 52571 as a tool to aid in compiling a complete Standard Operating Procedures manual for submittal with the asbestos contractor license application.
- Contractors who are applying for their renewal license are eligible for online processing, or they may mail, fax, email or hand deliver a properly completed State Form 52575 to IDEM at the address listed on the form.
- Training Course Providers:
- Training course providers must mail, fax, email or hand deliver a properly completed Application for Asbestos Training Course Approval - State Form 48741 to IDEM at the address listed on the form.
- Instructors must be certified for the disciplines in which they are instructing.
- Individuals who are applying for their initial or renewal individual licenses are eligible for online processing, or they may mail or hand deliver a properly completed state form to IDEM at the address provided on the form. Applicants may not fax applications.
- State Forms:
- Application for Duplicate Asbestos License - 48740
- Application for Individual Asbestos License - 43786
- Remit the correct fee with the application.
- Credit card payment is required for online submittals.
- Processing times vary.
Individuals who are interested in becoming licensed to work with asbestos in Indiana should read Indiana’s rules for Asbestos Management Personnel at Title 326, Article 18 of the Indiana Administrative Code (326 IAC 18 [PDF]) for complete details about Indiana’s requirements.
Referenced forms are available on the IDEM Agency Forms page.
These Nonrule Policies provide guidance on how IDEM will implement the above rule:
- The Asbestos Accreditation/Licensing Review Policy (Air-004) clarifies circumstances under which IDEM considers revoking, suspending, or failing to renew a contractor's asbestos license or a person's asbestos accreditation.
- The Current Operating Policy for IDEM-Administered Asbestos Examinations (Air-019) describes IDEM’s policy regarding the administration of asbestos examinations by the department for purposes of obtaining asbestos personnel licenses.