Close Menu


Indiana residents are entitled by law to rent a place to live or buy a home without consideration to their:  race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, familial status (having children under 18) and disability  in any of the following:

  • Refuse to rent or sell housing
  • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, rental or sale
  • Refuse to make a mortgage loan 
  •  Impose different conditions or terms on a loan 
  •  Threaten, coerce or intimidate any individual exercising a fair housing right
  • Refuse reasonable changes to your dwelling to accommodate a disability

How To File?

Call, write or vist the Commission within 365 days of the date in which the alleged act of discrimination occurred and describe the situation you feel was discriminatory. An experienced Intake Specialist will listen, advise and assist you accordingly.

: The on-line form is for submitting an inquiry to the ICRC. Complaints must be filed either by personal delivery, mail or fax. If you encounter problems working with the on-line form you might be better served to call The Commission at 1-800-628-2909.

The Process

Filing a complaint– You must file a complaint with the Commission within 365 days of the date the alleged act of discrimination took place. Once your complaint is processed, you will be advised of your rights and responsibilities.

Mediation– This is a process in which an impartial person helps parties resolve their dispute prior to a thorough investigation.

Investigation– If the dispute cannot be resolved through mediation, the Commission will conduct a full investigation that is objective, timely and efficient.

Determination– A determination is issued indicating whether or not there is adequate evidence of discrimination.

Notification– You will be notified of the Commission’s determination and will receive instructions on how to seek the remedies provided for under the law, which could result in a hearing or civil action in a court of law.

Call the Indiana Civil Rights Commission Toll-Free at 1-800-628-2909