Language Translation
  Close Menu

Muscatatuck Park

Location: West entrance of Muscatatuck Park at S. Gum St. and Muscatatuck Park Rd., North Vernon (Jennings County), Indiana 47265 

Erected 1999 Indiana Historical Bureau and Jennings County Parks and Recreation Department

ID# : 40.1999.1

Note: Marker damaged and replaced by 40.2020.1 Muscatatuck Park


Side one:

Opened 1921 as Indiana's fourth state park for its natural beauty and recreation potential. Named Vinegar Mills State Park after stone-cutting mill in park. Renamed Muscatatuck State Park 1922. Stone shelters and stairways, fire tower, trails, and retaining walls were built by Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps in 1930s.

Side two:

Nearby home (built 1850) of William Read, owner of stone-cutting mill, was used as an inn by the state park. Quail were raised in park 1953-1962; park was renamed Muscatatuck State Park and Game Farm. State youth camp was started in park 1962. In 1968, park was returned to Jennings County for recreational uses. Walnut Grove Schoolhouse (1913) was moved here 1990.


Nature and Natural Disasters