Holy Rosary-Danish Church Historic District
Location: SE corner of S. East Street & S. Stevens Street, Indianapolis. (Marion County, Indiana)
Installed: 2000 Indiana Historical Bureau and Italian Heritage Society of Indiana
ID# : 49.2000.1
Platted 1854; now bounded by South East Street, Virginia Avenue, and interstates 65/70. Early residents were Germans, Irish, Scots, and Welsh. Danes resided in area circa 1870-1890. By 1910, ninety percent of area residents were Italian immigrants.
Area became Indiana's largest continuously occupied Italian neighborhood. Sicilians opened nearby produce businesses. District, containing mainly working-class cottages, includes Trinity Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church built 1872, Horace Mann Public School built 1873, and Holy Rosary Catholic Church built 1911-1925. District listed in National Register of Historic Places 1986.
Immigration and Ethnic Groups, Historic District, Neighborhoods, and Towns