Info Agency Main Banner Content
Market Street Temple
Location: 435 E. Market Street, Indianapolis. (Marion County, Indiana)
Erected 1999 Indiana Historical Bureau, Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation, and Charles B. Feibleman Fund
ID# : 49.1999.3
Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation (Reform) founded 1856 as state's fourth Jewish congregation. Its temple, first in the city, built here 1865-1868 to serve members in area's German Jewish neighborhood. As membership grew and moved northward, congregation built new temple at Delaware and Tenth streets 1899 and at 6501 North Meridian Street 1958.
Hungarian Jews were replacing German Jews in Market Street neighborhood in late 1800s. Hungarian Ohev Zedeck Congregation (founded 1884) purchased Market Street Temple and occupied it 1899-1927. Ohev Zedeck merged 1927 with Congregation Beth El (founded 1915), forming Beth El Zedeck. Vacant Market Street Temple, landmark of Indianapolis and Reform Judaism, demolished 1933.
Religion, Immigration and Ethnic Groups