Location: NW corner SR 11/Walnut Street & B Avenue East at east entrance to Freeman Field, near 1600 S. Walnut St., Seymour. (Jackson County, Indiana)
Erected 1997 Indiana Historical Bureau, City of Seymour, and Seymour Municipal Airport Authority.
ID# : 36.1997.1
Marker Review Report: Learn more here.
Visit Blogging Hoosier History to learn about how officers of the African American 477th Bombardment Group at Freeman Field challenged the unlawful exclusion of blacks from officers’ club. This uprising contributed to the 1948 desegregation of the armed forces.
Activated December 1942 as U.S. Army Air Forces advanced training school for World War II twin engine pilots: graduated over 4, 000 by February 1945. Construction of 413 structures and four 5, 500-foot runways supervised by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; named for Indiana pilot Captain Richard S. Freeman (1907-1941). Deactivated in 1948.