First Electrically Lighted City
Location: Wabash County Courthouse, SE lawn, Wabash Street, Wabash. (Wabash County, Indiana)
Erected by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission, 1966
ID# : 85.1966.1
Marker Review Report: Learn more here.
Visit Blogging Hoosier History to learn about the decades-long struggle to electrify rural Indiana.
On March 31, 1880, officials of Wabash began experimenting with Charles F. Brush's carbon-arc lights. Four 3,000 candlepower lamps were placed atop the courthouse and used to illuminate the town until September, 1888.
Science, Medicine, and Inventions