Info Agency Main Banner Content
Sisters of the Holy Cross Civil War Nurses 1861-1865
Location: Near 5215 Holy Cross Parkway, Mishawaka IN 46545; Mishawaka Campus of the St. Joseph Regional Medical Center. Marker can be reached from Holy Cross Parkway 0.1 miles south of E. Douglas Boulevard, on the right when traveling south; South Bend. (St. Joseph County, Indiana)
Erected by the Indiana Civil War Centennial Commission 1963
ID# : 71.1965.1
Marker Review Report: Learn more here.
In response to Governor Morton's call of October 1861, eighty Sisters of the Holy Cross under the leadership of Mother Angela served as military nurses. The Sisters became the forerunners of the Navy Nurse Corps in 1862 when they boarded the Red Rover, the Navy's first hospital ship.
Women, Military, Religion