Fort Benjamin Harrison
Location: Otis Avenue between Hess and Lawton Roads, Indianapolis. (Marion County, Indiana)
No Longer Standing
Erected 1996 Indiana Historical Bureau and Fort Benjamin Harrison Historical Society
ID# : 49.1996.1
Visit the Indiana History Blog or listen to the Talking Hoosier History podcast to learn more about how Fort Harrison was converted into a hospital to treat servicemen suffering from the Spanish Influenza epidemic during WWI.
Established by Congress, 1903, as infantry post. Named for former U.S. president from Indianapolis. Became important as administration and finance training center. Historic district--listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1995--retains characteristics of turn-of-the-century military community.
Military, Historic District, Neighborhoods, and Towns