Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria Including Diagram
Indiana Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria
What is Trauma?
Trauma is a serious injury cause by external factors such as: a car crash, falling off a roof, or being shot or stabbed. Traumatic injuries are the "worst of the worst" injuries, typically where the victim of trauma is in mortal danger, and should seek medical aid immediately.
The Indiana Department of Health follows the strict definition of trauma defined by the American College of Surgeons – Committee on Trauma, as seen below. This strict definition is used to ensure that when people in the trauma community talk about trauma, everyone understands specifically what is being discussed.
At least one of the following injury diagnostic codes as follows:
International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision (ICD-10-CM):
- S00-S99 with 7th character modifiers of A, B, or C ONLY. (Injuries to specific body parts - initial encounter)
- T07 (unspecified multiple injuries)
- T14 (injury of unspecified body region)
- T79.A1-T79.A9 with 7th character modifier of A ONLY (Traumatic Compartment Syndrome - initial encounter)
Excluding the following isolated injuries:
- S00 (Superficial injuries of the head)
- S10 (Superficial injuries of the neck)
- S20 (Superficial injuries of the thorax)
- S30 (Superficial injuries of the abdomen, pelvis, lower back and external genitals)
- S40 (Superficial injuries of shoulder and upper arm)
- S50 (Superficial injuries of elbow and forearm)
- S60 (Superficial injuries of wrist, hand and fingers)
- S70 (Superficial injuries of hip and thigh)
- S80 (Superficial injuries of knee and lower leg)
- S90 (Superficial injuries of ankle, foot and toes)
- Late effect codes, which are represented using the same range of injury diagnosis codes but with the 7th digit modifier code of D through S, are also excluded.
AND MUST INCLUDE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING IN ADDITION TO (ICD-10-CM S00-S99, T07, T14, T20-T28, T30-T32, and T79.A1-T79.A9):
- Hospital admission as defined by your trauma registry inclusion criteria
- Patient transfers via EMS transport (including air ambulance) from one hospital to another hospital (even if later discharged from the emergency department)
- Death resulting from the traumatic injury (independent of hospital admission or hospital transfer status)
Indiana Trauma Registry Inclusion Criteria Map
Trauma and Injury Prevention Program Director