About the Program
Give Kids A Smile® is an annual volunteer program that provides free educational, preventive or restorative services to children at participating locations during the month of February.
The program was created in 2002 by Dr. Jeffery Dalin, an Indiana University School of Dentistry graduate, and was recognized in 2003 by the American Dental Association as a nationwide program. The Indiana Department of Health partners with participating providers willing to provide free oral health care services to Hoosier children.
Information for Clinicians, Schools and Community Organizations
Thank you for participating in Give Kids A Smile® and volunteering to provide free dental screenings, preventive and restorative services or education to Hoosier children during the month of February. This event helps raise awareness of oral health and identified children who require immediate dental treatments and helps provide them with a dental home.
Register below with the American Dental Association from October 1 to November 15 to order free take-home kits (brush, floss, toothpaste and flyers) while supplies last.
Participating clinicians volunteer their services to children in need or from low-income families. Schools help promote oral health by providing education to teach students about good dental hygiene and more.
- Kick Off Meeting Slides - 2023
- Mouth Healthy - Activity Sheets and Lesson Plans
- ADA - Tips for Healthy Teeth
- IDOH - The Game of Healthy Choices
- CDC - Dental Health Activity Book
- ADA - A Healthy Smile? Easy to Find! Activity Book (Spanish)
- ADA - Sugar Swatter Explorers Activity Book (Spanish)
- ADA - Water, Nature's Drink Activity Book (Spanish)
- ADA - Choose Tap Water Activity Book (Spanish)
Did you know?
- Good oral health is important for overall health and well-being, yet 1 in 5 Hoosier children suffer from untreated tooth decay.
- Half of Hoosiers live in an area with a dental health provider shortage.
- Over 4 in 10 children have tooth decay by the time they enter kindergarten.
- Children with cavities in their primary/baby teeth are 3 times more likely to develop cavities in their permanent/adult teeth.
Give your kid a smile:
Cavities are one of the most common chronic diseases for kids ages 6 to 19.
Protect your child’s teeth by having them:
- Brush their teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Drink tap water that contains fluoride.
- Start healthy habits now.