Vibrio Cholerae Testing
Vibrio Cholerae Specimen Collection and Transport
There is no cost for this testing.
Sample Type: Fresh stool or rectal swab. Stool specimens should be collected early, preferably within 24 hours of onset of illness, and before administration of antibiotics. > 10 mL for liquid stools; > 20 g solid or semi-solid stools.
Collect fresh stool in clean, dry leak-proof container. Transfer indicated amount to the Cary-Blair transport as indicated by instructions on or with the transport tube.
- Be sure to properly label the specimen tube with at least the patient’s name and date of collection.
- Check the expiration date on the tube to ensure product is acceptable and will continue to be acceptable once received at the IDOH laboratory.
- Complete a request form for each specimen with the following information:
- Name, birth date, race, and sex of patient
- Specimen type and date of specimen collection
- Date of symptom onset
- Suspected disease agent
- Complete patient history, travel history, and other relevant information
- Submitting clinic information-clinic name, address, phone number, fax number, contact name and email address (if available).
- For eligibility contact IDOH Epidemiology SID 317-234-2808.
Required Request Form: IDOH Enteric form Specimen Handling: Body fluids handled with standard precautions.
Transport Temperature: Ambient Shipping Requirements: Category B UN3373, Triple contained in accordance with federal shipping regulations for diagnostic specimens.
Storage Instructions: Store between 2-8° C
Reporting Method: Mail Test Turn Around Time: 3-10 days
Test Referral: Cultures presumptively identified as Vibrio cholera will be sent to the CDC for confirmation and serological typing