Outbreak Serology Testing
Outbreak Serology Specimen Collection and Transport
Submit at least 1 mL of serum in a screw-capped tube. Alternatively, collect at least 3 mL of whole blood in a serum separator or red-top tube. Label the specimen tube with patient's name or patient ID number, and collection date.
- Serum/blood collection materials, including SST, tiger-top, or gold-top tubes.
- Shipping boxes or containers with appropriate shipping labels
- UN3373 Biological Substances, Category B shipping container
- 9A shipping container provided by IDOH
- Access to LimsNet online account for entry submission
- Label tube with the date of collection
- Label tube with two of the following patient identifiers, which must match the LimsNet electronic entry for test acceptance:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Your patient ID number
- Collect 3-4 ml whole blood sample in an SST (gold or tiger-top).
- Centrifuge whole blood to fully separate serum from the clot (recommend 10 min at 3000 RPM).
- Serum may be decanted and shipped in a leak-proof screw-top tube, or SST may be shipped.
- Freeze if >3 days is needed for specimen to arrive at IDOH Lab.
- Complete a LimsNet entry for the patient under Serology Outbreak tab, including patient name, date of birth, date of collection, sex, race, county of residence, date of onset, lab tests desired, and reason for testing. In addition, please include patient symptoms, travel history, and related vaccination/immunization history, if appropriate.
- Print a copy of the LimsNet submission cover page to include with shipment.
- Secure the specimen in the inner shipping container, include some absorbent material.
- Place LimsNet submission cover page in outer container (prevent contamination from specimen).
- Affix a mailing label to the outer container with a return address and appropriate postage.
- Specimens should be shipped to arrive at IDOH Monday through Friday. It is not recommended to ship specimens which will be in transit over the weekend or holiday.
- Ship to:
Attn: Serology Laboratory
Indiana Department of Health Laboratory
550 W 16th St. - Suite B
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Laboratory reports will be sent out via LimsNet and will be available within three to five business days.