Legionella Specimen Collection and Transport
Specimen type: Pure viable culture on appropriate agar medium (BCYE-Cysteine,) slant or appropriate commercial transport.
One isolate per patient.
Appropriate agar medium slant in tube (BCYE/Cysteine medium) with screw-cap tightened or other similarly approved commercial transport medium.
Shipping boxes/containers with appropriate shipping labels, commercially available.
- Label the culture tube with the patient's name, date of birth, and date of organism isolation.
- A minimum of two unique patient identifiers, (i.e., first/last name) DOB, MRN) must be indicated on the isolate tube. Unique identifiers must match what is entered on the submission form/LimsNet if available.
- Check the expiration date on the tube to ensure the product is acceptable and will continue to be acceptable once received at the IDOH laboratory.
- Complete a Reference Bacteriology Culture Identification Request Form for each specimen with the following information:
- Patient name, address, age, gender, onset, physician name, and diagnosis.
- Culture isolation source, date isolated, date submitted, organism suspected.
- Submitting facility information-clinic name, address, phone number, fax number, contact name, and email address (if available).
- Relevant comments which may include patient history or travel history.
Indiana Department of Health Laboratories
Suite B, Reference Microbiology
550 West 16th Street
Indianapolis, IN. 46202
- Package according to Category B UN3373 guidelines.
- Completed submission/request form may then be wrapped around the sealed inner container and together placed securely into the outer shipping container.
- Do not send culture isolates on petri plates if submitting by mail.
- Transport Temperature: Ambient. Tissue specimens should be transported with cold packs.
- IDOH recommends that the collected specimens for Diphtheria testing are received in 24 hours or less by using an overnight delivery or courier service.
Reporting Method: Fax.
TAT: Culture 3-10 business days.
Test Referral: Legionella isolates will be sent to the CDC for confirmation and/or additional testing.