Lead in Dust Wipes
In infants and children, lead can cause delays in physical or mental development. Children could show slight deficits in attention span and learning abilities. In adults, kidney problems as well as high blood pressure may occur. Lead in dust wipes is an EPA regulated parameter.
The following are test result action limits set by the EPA:
- Less than 10 µg/ft2 for floors, carpeted and uncarpeted areas.
- Less than 100 µg/ft2 for interior windowsills.
No charge for investigations by Local Health Departments, IDEM or other state agencies and institutions.
See ASTM Practice E1728 or pertinent HUD publications for specific sampling requirements.
Samples are accepted ONLY from Divisions of the Indiana Department of Health, State Government Agencies or from County Health Departments.
Questions: Contact Quincy Bell, Qbell@health.IN.gov or 317-921-5559
Please purchase Vials and Ghost Wipes. Email Qbell@health.IN.gov for questions.
Product: Environmental Express 70mL Cups with Attached Lids, 400pk
Item #: SC601
Please follow these five general guidelines:
- One property equals one group. A group of dust wipe samples should include one field blank. (A field blank is a dust wipe opened at the sampling location then placed into its own vial). Always submit a field blank with each sample group.
- Always record the sampled area for each dust wipe sample in inches.
- Dust wipes should be free from large amounts of paint chips (as from a deteriorated window trough).
- One sample is one dust wipe. Do not composite samples. Do not put multiple wipes in one container.
- Identify each sample at each location. Simple numbering is best. Record any deviations from this sampling procedure.
Include a completed Dust Wipe Sample Submission Form.
Place sample container(s) in an appropriate shipping box or padded envelope. Bring/ship to:
ATTN: Environmental Lead
550 W 16th St – Suite B
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Refrigeration is not required. Samples should be received within 14 days of collection.
Routine samples will be reported within 10 business days from receipt.