In 1883 the General Assembly passed a law to build three additional hospitals at Evansville, Richmond and Logansport. A 160 acre tract of land, the Andrew G. Shanklin farm, one mile southwest of Logansport, was selected and purchased on October 4, 1883 and the citizens of Cass County donated 121 86/100 adjoining acres, making a total of 281 acres owned by the State of Indiana.
The hospital opened July 1, 1888, receiving 309 patients with Dr. Joseph G. Rogers as superintendent and was later renamed Logansport State Hospital in 1927. Over time, Logansport State Hospital became known to the locals as Longcliff due to the beautiful cliffs on grounds.
The Isaac Ray Treatment Center opened in 1979, as sole-source provider of forensic psychiatric services for the state. Logansport State Hospital earned the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals on December 13, 1986 and continues to innovate psychiatric treatment according to the changing needs of society.