To request records for individuals hospitalized at Logansport State Hospital please contact the Health Information Services department. An Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information form must be completed before a records request can be processed. Please note, records maintained by the department may only be released pursuant to the provisions contained in I.C. 16.39.2. Generally, patients, guardians and personal representatives of deceased patients are allowed access to records. If Logansport State Hospital is in possession of the records requested, please allow up to 30 days to process the request from date of receipt. Cost will be determined once a valid request is received.
Please note that according to Indiana State Record Retention Policy, medical records are thinned and sent to Indiana State Archives for storage 10 years after patient’s last discharge date. All record request for Logansport State Hospital will still start at Logansport State Hospital. Once a completed signed released has been received and any necessary supporting documentation, they will be forwarded to Indiana State Archives. If the request is sent to Indiana State Archives a letter will be sent to notify the requestor of the information being forwarded.
Forms of acceptable documentation:
- If a patient is requesting their personal records a legible copy of a state issued identification or driver’s license along with the Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information form must be included with the request.
- If you are a family member of a patient who is still living, you will be required to have the patient sign an Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information form and send a copy of a state issued identification or driver’s license giving you authorization to obtain copies of their records.
- If the patient is deceased then you would need to provide proof of next of living kin relationship or executor or administrator. Please only provide copies as they will not be returned. Acceptable examples:
- A certified copy of the court order establishing the executor or administrator
- A certified copy of the court order establishing the executor or administrator. A copy of birth and death certificates identifying next of kin.
- A copy of the deceased’s obituary identifying next of kin.
- Marriage certificate and letter from clergy stating marriage was still in effect at time of death.
- Any legal documentation that establishes kinship.
Please mail all documents to:
Logansport State Hospital
Attn: Health Information Services
Release of Information
1098 S. State Rd. 25
Logansport, IN 46947