- What is TANF?
- Who is eligible for TANF cash assistance?
- See if you qualify, apply for and manage current TANF benefits
- What are the responsibilities of the applicant for or recipient of TANF cash assistance?
- How does the Division of Family Resources determine the amount of cash assistance?
- May a family have any real or personal property?
- What happens after the application is filed?
- How much is the TANF cash assistance payment?
- What if an applicant or recipient is not satisfied with an action taken on their case?
- Downloadable TANF brochure for printing (English and Spanish)
- Affordable connectivity program
- Indiana TANF work verification plan
- Indiana TANF State Plan amendment
- To make a payment on your TANF or SNAP overpayment claim click here
- TANF benefits, provided via Hoosier Works EBT card, may be used for online purchasing. Click this link for more information.
What is TANF?
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families is a program that provides cash assistance and supportive services to assist families with children under age 18, helping them achieve economic self-sufficiency.
Who is eligible for TANF cash assistance?
Children under 18 who are living with their parent(s) or relative such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle etc., who meet specific nonfinancial criteria and whose countable family monthly income meets the following income guidelines.
|Assistance group size||Gross income standard||Net income standard|
|Each Additional Member|
Click here for a printable version of the graph.
What are the responsibilities of the applicant for or recipient of TANF cash assistance?
The applicant or recipient must provide the Division of Family Resources with accurate and complete information regarding the child(ren), parent(s) and all other household members whose income and needs are to be assessed in order to determine eligibility.
- Individuals must provide Social Security numbers and meet state residency, citizenship/ immigration status, employment and child support assignment requirements.
- As a condition of eligibility for TANF, adult applicants deemed mandatory for IMPACT, Indiana’s employment and training program, are required to attend Applicant Job Search Orientation and complete 20 days of Applicant Job Search activities. Failure to complete the Applicant Job Search program without good cause will result in the denial of the application for cash assistance.
- The applicant or recipient is responsible to report any changes in circumstances to DFR within 10 days of the date the changes occurred.
How does the Division of Family Resources determine the amount of cash assistance?
A review is done of all the income available to meet the needs of the family. Some of the types of income considered are wages, unemployment benefits, Social Security benefits and child support. Available income is compared to a need standard. The need standard is based on the family size.
May a family have any real or personal property?
A family may not possess assets valued in excess of $1,000 at the time application for assistance is made. The house, which is the usual residence, is exempt.
What happens after the application is filed?
A decision will be made to grant assistance within 60 days of the date of application, unless there is a valid reason that prevents DFR from making a decision. For applicants not meeting all conditions of eligibility, a decision to deny assistance will be made no later than 61 days after the date of application.
How much is the TANF cash assistance payment?
Payments vary based on the family’s countable monthly income up to the maximum allowable amounts listed in the following charts.
Click for text version of graph.
What if an applicant or recipient is not satisfied with an action taken on their case?
The applicant or recipient has the right to appeal any action on his or her case and have a fair hearing. An applicant or recipient may appeal by sending a written request to the local DFR office or to the Hearings and Appeals Section of DFR within 33 days of the date of the action or issue being appealed.
Downloadable TANF brochure for printing
- TANF tri-fold brochure in English - revised December 2016
- TANF tri-fold brochure in Spanish - revised December 2016