Language Translation
  Close Menu

Hoosier Works Card FAQ's

Can I use my card right away?
No, you will need to create a Personal Identification Number by calling the EBT customer service toll free number (877-768-5098) in order to activate your card. Once the PIN is created, it will be the same for all replacement cards unless you call the EBT customer service toll free number to change the PIN.

What is a Personal Identification Number?
A Personal Identification Number is a four-digit secret code that allows only you to use your Hoosier Works Card. Never tell your PIN to anyone! If someone knows your PIN, he or she can use your card to get your benefits – and those benefits will not be replaced. It is best to choose four numbers that are easy for you to remember, but hard for someone else to figure out. Do not write the PIN on the card. Do not keep the PIN in the same place as the card, so if the card is stolen or lost the person who has the card won’t be able to find out the PIN.

What if I forget my PIN?
If you forget your PIN, you can select a new one by calling the EBT Customer Service toll free number (877-768-5098). You do not need to know the old PIN in order to create a new PIN. If you enter the wrong PIN at a grocery store (POS) terminal or an ATM, you have two more chances to enter the correct number. If the correct PIN is not entered by the fourth try, your card will be suspended and you won’t be able to use it until 12:01 a.m. the next day. In some cases, the bank’s ATM machine may take your card for security reasons. If this happens, you should contact EBT Customer Service for a replacement card.

What should I do if someone finds out my PIN?
Immediately call EBT Customer Service at 877-768-5098 to change your PIN or logon to the EBT customer service website at to change your PIN.

How do benefits get put on my Hoosier Works Card?
Each month your benefits will automatically be added to your account. As you use the Hoosier Works card to get cash or buy food, your account balance will decrease.

When do I get my benefits?
Benefits will be in your EBT account as listed below:
Cash: All cash benefits (TANF) will be available in your EBT account on the first day of the month.
Food: Food benefits (SNAP) will be added to your account based on the first letter of your last name as follows:

If your name begins
with the letter:

Your food benefits
will be available on the:

A, B


C, D


E, F, G


H, I


J, K, L


M, N


O, P, Q, R




T, U, V


W, X, Y, Z


Where can I use my Hoosier Works Card?
You can use your Hoosier Works Card at hundreds of participating stores and ATMs (cash machines) throughout Indiana where you see the Quest logo. Most stores will also post signs saying that SNAP is accepted in that store. SNAP recipients may also use their Hoosier Works EBT card to make online purchases at a limited number of authorized retailers. More information can be found here:

Can I withdrawal cash at any ATM that has the Quest logo?
No, even if the Quest logo is on an ATM, it is against the law to withdrawal cash at certain ATMs. For example, it is a Class C misdemeanor to use your Hoosier Works card to withdraw cash in ATMs located in liquor stores, bars, night clubs, adult entertainment establishments, gambling establishments, horse racing facilities, bingo halls or gun stores. This law is Indiana State Law IC 12-13-14-4.5. The law is often revised and may include even more places in the future where ATM cash cannot be withdrawn so please be careful to look for signs when withdrawing cash. The signs will be on the ATM and will say that it is illegal to use a Hoosier Works card at that ATM machine. The State of Indiana can pursue cardholders who withdraw cash at ATMs in the locations prohibited by law.

What should I do if I lose my Hoosier Works Card?
If your Hoosier Works Card is lost or stolen, you should immediately call the EBT customer service toll free number at 877-768-5098 or logon to the EBT customer service website at to cancel the lost or stolen card. By cancelling the card, you can prevent someone else from using it. You can also order a replacement card after cancelling the lost or stolen card. All replacement cards will be mailed within 24 hours of the date you call. You will have one free card replacement per calendar year and will be charged a $1.00 fee for each replacement after that. If food and/or cash benefits are lost due to theft or loss of your card and PIN, they will NOT be replaced by the State of Indiana.

What should I do if I believe my benefits have been stolen?
Contact the local law enforcement agency to report the stolen benefits. State policy does not permit the replacement of lost or stolen benefits because a PIN is needed to access benefits, and the cardholder is responsible for protecting their card and PIN information. Call the EBT Customer Service toll free number (877-768-5098), or log onto the EBT customer service website at, to order a replacement card and/or change your PIN. For questions about your benefits and more information on protecting your SNAP and TANF accounts, contact the Family & Social Services Administration toll free number at 800-403-0864.

What if my card won’t work?
Call the EBT Customer Service Toll Free number (877-768-5098) for assistance.

I am not mobile and can’t get to the store. How can I authorize someone else to access my food benefits to get food for me?
You will need to fill out an Authorized Representative form. The form will ask for basic information about the person you select and allows you to give him or her permission to access your benefits. Your authorized representative will receive a Hoosier Works card in his or her name which will also show your name. Once your authorized representative has the EBT card, he or she will be allowed to fully access your benefits for you unless you call to cancel his or her authorization. Call the Family & Social Services Administration toll free number at 800-403-0864 for more information.

What about my cash benefits? Can the authorized representative access those for me?
No. The person accessing your cash benefits is referred to as a protective payee, not an authorized representative. When you have a protective payee, you can no longer access your TANF account with your Hoosier Works card. The protective payee would receive a Hoosier Works Card to access your TANF account for you. If you would like to authorize someone to access your cash benefits for you, you will have to fill out a Protective Payee form. If you authorize the same person to be both the authorized representative and the protective payee, he or she can use one card to access both of your accounts. You also have the option to authorize two different people to be your authorized representative and protective payee, or have just an authorized representative or just a protective payee. You decide who can access your benefits for you and your household. Call the Family & Social Services Administration toll free number at 800-403-0864 for more information.

How do I take care of my Hoosier Works Card?

  1. NEVER tell your Personal Identification Number to anyone.
  2. Do NOT write your PIN on your card or anywhere else in your wallet or purse.
  3. Sign the back of your card.
  4. Keep your card safe and clean. Do not bend your card, put it in direct sunlight or get it near magnets (handbag clasps, TVs, etc.).
  5. If your card becomes unreadable when you swipe it, call the EBT Customer Service toll free number (877-768-5098) and request a new card. This will avoid grocery store staff from having to type in your card number each time you use your card which is safer for you. By having a card that can be swiped, no one will have direct access to your card number.

How will I know my account balance?
The easiest way to know your account balance is to keep your receipts. If you don’t have your receipts, you can call the EBT customer service toll free number (877-768-5098) to check your balance through an automated voice system or you can check it on the EBT website at It is a good idea to check how much you have left in your account before you shop!

Can I go to a bank teller and withdraw money or inquire about my Hoosier Works account?
No. Because SNAP (food) and TANF (cash) benefits are programs run by the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration’s Division of Family Resources, bank tellers or other bank employees do not have access to your account. You can only inquire about your benefits through the EBT customer service toll free number (877-768-5098) or website You can only withdraw money from an ATM or by making cash-back or cash-only transactions at participating stores.

Can I withdraw coins or cash amounts less than $5.00 from an ATM?
No. The smallest cash denomination that can be dispensed from a bank machine is usually a $20 bill. The ATM menu will tell you the cash denominations that can be withdrawn.

If I have less than $20.00 worth of cash benefits on my Hoosier Works Card, how can I get the rest of my cash if the minimum amount from an ATM is $20?
You can do a cash-back or cash-only transaction at a participating store to get these funds.

Are there any fees for using my Hoosier Works Card?
Yes and no. There is never a fee charged to your card to buy food using your SNAP benefits or TANF benefits at a point of sale in a grocery store. However there are fees associated with cash withdrawals. Cash withdrawal transactions from an ATM are free, but bank surcharge fees may be charged.

Summary of fees

ATM withdrawal fee


Balance inquiries and denied transactions


ATM surcharges at ATMs

Will be stated by the ATM before being deducted. Cardholder must agree to the surcharge.

Can I deposit money into my EBT account?
No. You can only withdraw money from your account.

When should I call EBT Customer Service (877-768-5098)?

  • If your card is lost or stolen, call immediately.
  • If your card is damaged.
  • To select or change your PIN.
  • To check your account balance.
  • To listen to your last 10 transactions.
  • If you have questions or need help with your card.

What if I need my address changed?
For address updates please contact the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration toll free number at 800-403-0864 from 8.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. ET. All address changes must go through FSSA in order to reach the EBT system. The Customer Service Representatives working at the EBT toll free number cannot update addresses.

Here are some examples of when you should call the FSSA toll free number (800-403-0864):

  • If you are moving and need to update your address.
  • If you need to recertify.
  • If household members have changed.
  • If you are having difficulty understanding your benefits or determining why your benefits are not showing on your card.

What if I have other questions about my Hoosier Works Card?
Call the EBT customer service toll free number with any questions you may have about your Hoosier Works card.

For Hoosier Works card questions:
EBT customer service phone number
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
To access account information, visit online at

For address changes and eligibility questions:
FSSA toll free number
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET