Language Translation
  Close Menu

Things to Know

  • Only funeral homes and cemetery representatives can file state form 35937 on the behalf of the deceased.
  • Funeral homes, cemeteries and sometimes local trustee offices will call to confirm the eligibility status of the person who has died prior to meeting with you to make arrangements. The trustee may also call as part of their process to determine if they will offer additional assistance to defray burial costs.
  • The claim packet must be filed in proper form within 90 days from date of death.
    • Follow up with the funeral home/cemetery to ensure they have submitted your decedent’s claim packet.
  • A claim cannot be filed prior to the date of death.
  • Approved burial assistance funds are submitted directly to the funeral home and/or cemetery checking account.
  • The state does not reimburse family members.
  • The state does not dictate the type of funeral/burial service you arrange with the funeral home or cemetery.
  • Funeral homes and cemeteries should be able to assist you with making arrangements that are affordable for you and the deceased.
  • The PowerPoint presentation can give you more detailed information on the state’s Burial Assistance Program.
  • County identification numbers for funeral homes submitting claim forms.
  • Burial provider agreement