Close Menu

Main Content

Agency Main Banner Content

Attention: Effective May 26, 2020, the MCS customer walk-in center will be available for appointment only service. Motor carrier customers can begin scheduling appointments beginning May 20.

Learn More

General Information

The Motor Carrier Services (MCS) department is a specialized business unit within DOR providing support to motor carrier companies and commercial drivers through the administration of state and federal laws that govern the commercial use of Indiana’s roads. Utilizing custom systems for online customer transactions and operating a variety of phone, email, chat and customer service operations, MCS manages the International Fuel Tax Agreement, International Registration Plan, oversize/overweight vehicle permitting, Unified Carrier Registration and the issuing of US DOT numbers.

Motor Carrier Insurance Coverage

MCS Forms

Frequently Asked Questions


MCS Carrier Connect
Read the latest issue here.

Customer Service

Effective May 20, 2020, motor carrier customers can begin scheduling appointments for the MCS customer walk-in center for service starting May 26. In-person service will be limited to transactions that cannot be efficiently performed via telephone or online:

  • Payments for transactions that could not be made over the telephone or online; and
  • Picking up plates and decals that cannot otherwise be mailed.

Make your appointment online or by calling 317-615-7200, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST.

Customers who arrive at Motor Carrier Services without an appointment or who need assistance other than pickup or payment will may requested to make an appointment. Same-day appointments may not be available. 

Service kiosks located within the MCS customer service center will be unavailable.

Businesses with commercial vehicles can easily renew plates with our streamlined process.

Businesses operating motor vehicles over 26,001 pounds in the state of Indiana must file a fuel tax return.

Registered carriers may obtain one plate and registration cab card to travel in multiple states at specific weights.

Obtain an oversize and/or overweight vehicle permit before traveling on Indiana roads.

Commercial motor vehicles may apply for USDOT numbers and file for UCR.

MCS Online Services

Electronic Logging Device:

The congressionally mandated electronic logging device (ELD) rule makes tracking, managing and sharing driving records with law enforcement more straightforward and faster. Howerver, most ELDs fall short when it comes to paying and documenting fuel taxes and IRP. See DOR's guidance on ELDs and audit tips to help ensure you keep accurate records.


OSW Emergency Relief Permits

On June 3, Governor Eric Holcomb renewed his declaration of a state public health emergency. INDOT revised the oversize/overweight permit available for vehicles hauling goods and supplies intended for emergency response/relief from conditions caused by COVID-19. Permit letters expire July 4, 2020.

These permits are intended for loads of materials and supplies that are being hauled for emergency response or relief due to conditions caused by COVID-19. Loads cannot travel over legal weight limits when the materials or supplies hauled can no longer reasonably be considered part of the emergency response or relief efforts, even if the emergency permit is still valid.

To learn more or receive a permit letter, contact DOR's Oversize/Overweight (OSW) team at (317) 615-7320 or email IndianaOSW@dor.in.gov.

IRP System Upgrade Information

A new IRP system update is scheduled to go live on June 14. One of the major changes involves new Excel templates and requirements for uploading files for qualified accounts.

Please review all of the information on the MCS system for more details, including a video, training materials and new templates.

All existing upload templates will be invalid after June 12, 2020, so be sure to begin using the new templates on June 15. Also, in preparation for the upgrade, all transactions processed on or before June 12 should be completed and billed by noon EST.

If you have questions regarding these changes, you may contact IN_IRP_Modernization@dor.in.gov.

IRP Electronic Cab Cards

Effective Jan. 1, 2019, IRP cab cards will be available in an electronic image format. All U.S. states and Canadian provinces will be required to accept electronic images of the IRP cab cards. For the first year, you may want to continue carrying your paper credentials.

When stopped by law enforcement, credentials may be shown as an electronic image. Choosing to provide credentials by electronic device may require an officer or official to briefly take possession of the device to verify the validity of the credential.

Regardless of the format, the document must be accurate, accessible and readable by law enforcement. We suggest storing the document as a PDF on an electronic device in each vehicle to ensure access to documentation while in areas with no service or Wi-Fi.

Biennial Updates -- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires all entities under its jurisdiction to update their information every two years. You are required to provide this update every two years even if your company has not changed its information, has ceased interstate operations since the last update, or is no longer in business and you did not notify FMCSA.


Additional Notices

MCS Contact Information

IRP Services

(317) 615-7340

OSW Services

(317) 615-7320

IFTA/MCFT (Fuel Tax) Services

(317) 615-7345

USDOT and UCR Services

(317) 615-7350



News and FAQs

Top FAQs