What should you do if you cannot file your Indiana individual income tax return by the due date?
Here's what you need to know:
- The due date for 2021 Indiana Individual Income Tax returns is April 18, 2022.
- If you have a federal extension of time to file, you automatically have an extension of time to file with Indiana. You must file your 2021 state tax return by Nov. 14, 2022 and pay any balance due with that filing. While interest is due on any amount paid after the April 18, 2022 due date, penalty will be waived if both of the following conditions are met:
- You paid at least 90% of the tax expected to be owed by the original April 18, 2022 due date, and
- The remaining balance due is paid in full by Nov. 14.
- If you do not have a federal extension of time to file, and you cannot file by the April 18, 2022 due date, complete and file an Application for Extension of Time to File (Form IT-9)* on or before April 18. This extends the due date to Nov. 14, 2022.
The form and any payment due should be sent to:
Indiana Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 6117
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6117
- Military personnel on active duty outside of the United States and Puerto Rico will be allowed an automatic 60-day extension.
- Military personnel serving in a combat zone have an automatic extension of 180 days after they leave the combat zone. If they are hospitalized outside the U.S. as result of this service, the 180-extension period starts upon release from the hospital.