The information reflected gives guidance and resources to allow SFTP Bulk Filers to build accurate files for submission. Bulk upload is available for the following tax types: gasoline use tax, alcohol tax, motor vehicle rental, cigarette tax, other tobacco product tax and withholding. You may access our SFTP Bulk Upload guide here for detailed information.
Uploading a file through INTax is not considered “bulk filing”. For INTax FAQ’s please reference the INTax Business Center.
Testing and Certification
Testing is required to become certified to send files via SFTP Bulk Filing. Registration and certification cannot be guaranteed if the registration request is received less than 15 days prior to the due date of the tax type being registered. Please see the registration/error reporting form reflected at the bottom of the page to begin the registration process or to report an error with a file submitted through SFTP Bulk Filing.
SFTP Bulk Filing Certification Steps:
- Register for SFTP submission. See the form reflected at the bottom of the page for the required information
- Obtain certification by submitting test files to show file/data verification of format and syntax
- After being certified for SFTP submission, encrypt your file, either PGP or GPG
- Upload your encrypted file to our SFTP site
- Once file has been uploaded, our automated process will email the status, A = Accepted or R = Rejected. To request further explanation of an error see the form reflected at the bottom of the page for the required information
- If there are rejections, only correct and resubmit the submissions that were rejected. If you resubmit a duplicate return more than once it will be rejected since the data did not change
Starting on January 1, 2013, any employer that filed more than 25 withholding statements in a calendar year is required to file their annual WH-3 and their employees’ W-2s electronically. This law (IC 6-3-4-16.5) applies to all withholding statements filed after December 31, 2012.
Unaccepted Filing Methods
DOR does not accept wage filings on disk, CD, DVD, 3480 or 3490 cartridges as electronic files.
Withholding Schemas for WH-1 & WH-3
DOR has XML schemas to service WH-1 and WH-3 filings.
Effective January 1, 2017, this schema must be used for all filing years. The WH-1 must be submitted in xml format if the SFTP Bulk Filing process is utilized. Any new registrant for WH-3 will not be eligible for fixed length flat file submission and will need to submit using the xml format.
- XML Schema Definition File
- New Withholding Schema: IDORWTH2016 (zipped file)
- Change Log
- WH-1 Business Rules
- WH-3 Business Rules
Electronic return resources
- IRS Federal 1220 format (includes W-2Gs and 1099Rs)
- W-2 book
- IRS Resources
- Self Help and Common Error Questions
- Indiana Bulk Upload Guide
- SFTP Bulk File Naming Convention
SFTP Registration and Error Reporting
- Check Your Refund
- INfreefile (Individual Income Tax)
- Tax Lien Balance Inquiry
- INtax (Business Taxes)
- Pay Electronically
- Make a Payment Plan
- Check Your Payment Status
- IFTA/MCFT Fuel Tax System
- IRP/BPR Processing
- OSW Permitting
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center