Floodplain Management Training
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources is a proven partner to FEMA with a history of providing, maintaining, and improving floodplain management services throughout the state. In partnership with FEMA, the DNR Division of Water is implementing and updating training videos. These videos are intended for use by floodplain administrators, other local officials, or property owners. The videos and web pages broaden knowledge of floodplain management and the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requirements. Videos will be maintained and updated on this site for those who did not have an opportunity to attend the workshops in person or virtually or those who wish to have a refresher on a particular topic. If you do not find a topic of interest below, please contact us at DNRFPM@dnr.IN.gov for more information.
Workshops and Training
- NFIP Requirements for Substantial Improvement and Substantial Damage
Enforcement of your floodplain ordinance maintains your good standing as a participating community in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This workshop provides a refresher on the Substantial Improvement (SI) and Substantial Damage (SD) requirements of your ordinance and ensures you are continuing to comply with NFIP standards. There are no fees to participate in the workshop. To ensure you receive the meeting link, you must register a minimum of 24 hours in advance of the start of the program.
When: Wednesday, June 21, 9 - 11 a.m. ET
Location: Microsoft Teams
We are coordinating with ASFPM to get CFM Continuing Education Credits for this workshop.
For questions, email Doug Wagner, CFM at dwagner1@dnr.IN.gov
To register for the event, go to SI/SD Registration.
FEMA announces learning opportunities for the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Special Topics in Flood Insurance (NFIP): Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC)
- Mar 27, 2023 09:30 AM Central Time
- Introduction to Flood Insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- Apr 4, 2023 10:00 AM Central Time (Repeats the first Tuesday of every month at 10 AM Central Time)
- Basic Risk Rating
- Apr 6, 2023 10:00 AM Central Time (Repeats the first Thursday of the month every other month. Rotates with Advanced Risk Rating)
- Advanced Risk Rating
- May 4, 2023 10:00 AM Central Time (Repeats the first Thursday of the month every other month. Rotates with Basic Risk Rating)
FEMA Continues – Managing your Community’s Floodplains monthly webinar series.
FEMA Region 5 is conducting regular webinars to educate and train community officials on managing their community’s floodplains, on various topics such as floodplain management, flood insurance, and National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requirements. Each webinar will be 1-hr and 1 ASFPM CFM CEC is available by attending a session.
The virtual webinar is open to all; however, local and county officials working in emergency management, building code administration, and floodplain management are strongly encouraged to attend. The webinar is presented by FEMA Region 5’s Mitigation Division, Floodplain Management, and Insurance Branch.
There is no fee for the webinar; however, registration is required to ensure you receive webinar materials.
For more virtual webinar information or questions about the topics listed, contact Brian Killen, FEMA Region 5, Sr. Floodplain Management Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Topic #5, NFIP Compliance
May 31, 2023
- Topic #6, Insurance is Mitigation
June 28, 2023
- Topic #7, Managing Map Changes and Potential Violations
July 26, 2023
- Topic #8, Reasonably Safe from Flooding: TB-10
August 30, 2023
- Topic #9, Preparedness: Substantial Damage Planning
September 27, 2023
- Topic #10, Floodplain Management Higher Standards
October 25, 2023
- Topic #11, Natural and Beneficial Functions of Floodplains
November 29, 2023
- Topic #12, Community Rating System (CRS)
December 20, 2023