- Potato Creek State Park Alerts (1)
- BLUE-GREEN ALGAE ALERT FOR WORSTER LAKE BEACH: Swimming and boating permitted. Avoid contact with algae. Avoid swallowing water while swimming. Take a bath or shower with warm soapy water after coming in contact with lake water. Do not use lake water for cooking or bathing. Do not allow your pets to swim or drink water where algae are present. More information.
P.O. Box 908
North Liberty, IN 46554
25601 State Road 4
North Liberty, IN 46554
Upcoming Events at Potato Creek
Potato Creek is in north-central Indiana about 12 miles southwest of South Bend. The park features a wide array of activities and facilities for year-round enjoyment. Making reservations is advisable to enjoy some of this popular park's facilities.
A variety of natural habitats await, including the 327-acre Worster Lake, old fields, mature woodlands, restored prairies, and diverse wetlands. Each offers unique opportunities for plant and wildlife observation.
Native peoples used the area for hunting and fishing. The area’s first people of European descent settled here in the 1830s.
- Nature Center/Interpretive Services
- Paved Bicycle Trail / 3.2 miles
- Boat Launch Ramps / 2
- Electric Trolling Motors Only
- Bridle Trails
- Cabins / 17
- Cross-Country Skiing / No Ski Rental
- Fishing / Ice Fishing / Fishing Pier
- Fish Cleaning Station
- Hiking Trails
- Mountain Bike Trail / 7.4 miles
- Playground Equipment
- Canoe, Rowboat, Kayak
- Recreation Building
- Swimming / Beach (Policy)
- Tubing Hill
- Wildlife Observation Area
Camping - See campground maps under MAPS tab
- Electric / 287 sites
- Horsemen's Electric / 70 sites
- Youth Tent Areas
- Camp Store
- Water Fill Station/Dump Station
Note: For trail locations, view the property map under the MAPS tab.
1. MODERATE (2.2 miles)—Skirts Worster Lake, passing through old fields and Maple and Oak Hickory forest. Returns to Nature Center area.
2. RUGGED (2.0 miles)—Accessed either from Trail 1 or Trail 4. Winds through woods, up and down hills, to the highest point in the park.
3. MODERATE (1 mile)—Travels along ridge overlooking Worster Lake, passing through Beech Maple forest and down to the lake observation deck. Wonderful spring wildflower trail.
4. MODERATE (2.5 miles)—Scenic path along the stream through Beech-Maple woods, past the lake and old farm sites.
5. EASY (1 mile)—Rolling trail cuts through old fields. Has a small wetland observation deck.
6. EASY (.5 mile)—Short loop passes wetland and woods.
PEPPERMINT LOOP TRAIL (.9 mile), EASY—Starts at Nature Center following Trail 1 on old Peppermint Road along the lake. Cuts through a young woods and rejoins the end of Trail 1.
PAVED BICYCLE TRAIL (3.3 miles), MODERATE—Trail starts at boat rental and ends near Tulip Poplar shelter. It winds up and down wooded hills, above the creek bed, and then onto flat land passing wetlands and through forests.
MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAIL (7.4 miles), BEGINNERS—Developed through a partnership between the Northern Indiana Mountain Bike Association and Potato Creek State Park. Please obey posted signs and ride safely. For increased safety, bikers should ride in the direction indicated and hikers should walk in the opposite direction. Bikers should always yield to hikers. Helmets recommended.
FRIENDS WETLAND TRAIL (.75), EASY – Looped Trail passes by multiple wetlands and observation decks.
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS.