Info Agency Main Banner Content
Indiana Children’s Outdoor Bill of Rights
It is our goal to encourage Indiana’s children to participate in outdoor activities and discover their heritage. Numerous studies have shown that children who participate in outdoor activities are healthier, do better in school, have better social skills, a stronger self-image and lead more fulfilled lives.
We believe that all Indiana children are entitled to experience these activities in the outdoors, regardless of ability.
Here is a list of 11 items to help get Indiana kids outdoors. After they complete all of the items on the list, print out the Hoosier Outdoor Child certificate for them.
- Explore and play outdoors in a safe place.
- Follow a trail and discover native plants, wildlife and history.
- Experience traditional outdoor activities like fishing or hunting.
- Discover and celebrate Indiana’s past.
- Camp under the stars.
- Climb a tree.
- Visit a farm.
- Plant a seed or tree and watch it grow.
- Splash and play in streams, lakes and ponds.
- Enjoy the outdoors using all the senses.
- Ask questions, find answers and share nature with a friend.
Become an official HOOSIER OUTDOOR CHILD!
Complete all of the items on the checklist and you can become an official Hoosier Outdoor Child!
- Take this checklist with you outside and get started playing outdoors today! Download and print the checklist here!
- When you have checked off all eleven items on the list,print your certificate and you will be an official Hoosier Outdoor Child! Download the certificate here!
Guiding Purpose and Plan for the Children’s Outdoor Bill of Rights
The creation of the Indiana Children’s Outdoor Bill of Rights will:
- Result in more Indiana youth and families benefiting from outdoor recreation experiences.
- Create a uniting message regarding youth and families in the outdoors for federal, state, county, municipal, non-profit, and for profit agencies.
- Result in more informal collaborations and formal partnerships between all involved agencies and organizations.
- Promote an increase in family health and wellness.
- Increase future stewardship of outdoor resources on public and private lands.
- Increase the overall quality of life for Indiana’s youth and families.
- Highlight the abundant natural resources and recreation opportunities available in Indiana.
- DNR Kids Page - Find fun all day and all night!
- DNR Interpretive Services Page
- Children's Outdoor Bill of Rights Poster (pdf document)
- Discovering a Sense of Place (pdf document)
- Allen County Parks
- Amos W. Butler Audubon Society
- Camptown, Inc.
- Central Indiana Land Trust
- City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department
- Crossroads Boy Scout Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Department of Recreation Park & Tourism Studies, Indiana University
- DuBois County Sportsmen’s Club
- Environmental Education Association of Indiana
- Eppley Institute for Parks and Public Lands Hoosier Chapter, Soil and Water Conservation Society
- Hoosier Mountain Bike Association
- Indiana Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- Indiana Bass Federation Nation
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources
- Indiana Hunter Education Association
- Indiana Izaak Walton League of America
- Indiana National Resources Foundation
- Indiana Native Plant and Wildflower Society
- Indiana Park and Recreation Association
- Indiana Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever
- Indianapolis Admirals
- Indiana Urban Forest Council
- Indiana Wildlife Federation
- INShape Indiana/Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Jameson Camp
- National Association for Interpretation, Region 4 (Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Ontario)
- National Audubon Society Indiana Office
- National Muzzleloading Rifle Association
- Red-tail Conservancy, Inc.
- The Nature Conservancy Indiana Field Office
- South Bend-Elkhart Audubon Society
- St. Anthony Conservation Club
- St. Joseph County Parks
- Sycamore Land Trust
- Sycamore Trails Resource Conservation and Development Council
- Taltree Arboretum and Gardens
- Trees Indiana, Inc.
- Wesselman Woods Nature Center
- Wild Birds Unlimited, Inc.