Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
See property advisories below for temporary park closure.
- No updates at this time.
McCormick's Creek Events
McCormick's Creek State Park,
250 McCormick's Creek Park Road, Spencer, IN 47460
& 1 Mile Fun Run
Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:30 a.m.
A Mag 7 Series Race
Where: McCormick’s Creek State Park Nature Center
When: Race Day Registration begins at 7:30 a.m.
Awards Ceremony held after the race
Prizes to top male and female 5K overall runners and walkers. Awards granted to top two age-group winners in 5K run and first age-group winners in 5K walk and Fun Run.
5K Run or Walk: $20 (registered by April 15, 2017)
$25 (after April 15, 2017)
1 Mile Fun Run: $5 if registered by April 15, 2017; $10 after April 15, 2017
All 5K participants who register by April 15 will receive a T-shirt. T-shirts will not be given for the 1 Mile Fun Run.
Additional T-shirts: $10 (must be ordered by April 15, 2017)
For information: (812) 828-9622 or email@example.com
Online Registration: Mag7RaceSeries.com
Explore the spectacular limestone canyon, flowing creek, and scenic waterfalls that highlight Indiana’s first state park. Hike trails featuring diverse forest trees, spicebush, and native wildflowers, including a trail through Wolf Cave Nature Preserve and an accessible trail at the recently renovated nature center. Experience history as you climb the fire tower, use shelter houses or cross the stone arch bridge created by the Civilian Conservation Corps, or examine the historic Statehouse Quarry near White River, which furnished limestone used for the Indianapolis Statehouse. Relax in the lobby of Canyon Inn, open to all park visitors, or watch birds from the dining room porch. Catch cultural events such as concerts in the park amphitheater or attend the several special events hosted annually at the park. McCormick’s Creek State Park offers active enjoyment through all seasons of the year.
During the summer, pool hours may change because of weather and staffing. Please contact the property office for exact times before your visit.
Please Note: Wolf Cave Reopens in 2014
Wolf Cave at McCormick’s Creek State Park will reopen to the public on May 1. Wolf Cave’s size, location and lack of use by bats allows us to provide access for park visitors.
Selected caves at Spring Mill State Park and Cave River Valley Natural Area will also reopen for limited access by permit only for self-guided recreational groups in 2014. This is a pilot program in partnership with the Indiana Karst Conservancy (IKC). Groups must register in advance through IKC, to obtain a permit for access at Spring Mill or Cave River Valley, and must complete online training explaining decontamination procedures established to prevent the spread of White-nose Syndrome (WNS) to other caves. No registration or training is required for Wolf Cave at McCormick’s Creek State Park.
All other caves and sinkholes on DNR property are closed to provide protection from White-nose Syndrome, a fungus that is killing bats in large numbers. To learn more about WNS, visit www.dnr.IN.gov/batdisease. Thank you for cooperation.
Camping - See campground maps under MAPS tab
DESCRIPTION OF HIKING TRAILS
Note: For trail locations, view the property map under the MAPS tab.
1. MODERATE (0.5 miles)—Trail 1 is a loop trail that begins between family cabins 6 and 14, loops through large native timber in McCormick’s Cove Nature Preserve and ends at the entrance to the Family Cabin Area.
2. MODERATE (1.0 mile)—Trail 2 begins behind the CCC Recreation Hall, ventures into McCormick’s Cove Nature Preserve and ends between family cabins 11 and 12. Trail 2 also offers access to the Quarry Loop Trail for observation of the Old State House Quarry.
3. RUGGED (0.8 mile)—Trail 3 is a loop trail that begins across from Canyon Inn and offers access to the falls and canyon before ending at Stoney restroom. There are no bridges crossing the creek. Fluctuating creek levels may make areas of the trail seasonably inaccessible.
4. MODERATE (1.4 miles)—Trail 4 begins behind the Canyon Inn pool and travels toward the Recreation Field, McCormick’s Cove Nature Preserve and the CCC fire tower. Trail 4 ends on the road near Canyon Inn.
5. MODERATE (2.0 miles)—Trail 5 is a loop trail that begins at the Wolf Cave Parking Area, enters Wolf Cave Nature Preserve, loops through a Beech Maple forest, crosses Litten Branch, and offers access to Wolf Cave before ending near the Wolf Cave parking lot.
6. EASY (0.6 mile)—Trail 6 begins beside Beech Grove Shelter, travels through dense forest and ends in the Class A campground between campsites 19 and 20.
7. MODERATE (1.8 miles)—Trail 7 is a loop trail that begins across from the Wolf Cave parking lot, and travels along the canyon rim before descending toward the White River. Along the way hikers encounter a boardwalk. Fishing is permitted on the river.
8. ACCESSIBLE (0.7 mile)—Trail 8 is a paved trail that begins in the campground, between campsites 14 and 15, and proceeds through woodlands and the Pine Bluff picnic area, ending at the pool and concession stand.
9. EASY (1.2 miles)—Trail 9 loop trail begins in the Deer Run parking area and loops through hardwood forest, old farm fields and crosses the bridle trail twice before ending in the Deer Run area.
10. MODERATE (0.7 mile)—Trail 10 begins across McCormick’s Creek, from the Old State House Quarry, and proceeds upstream to the Trail 3 stairway that leads out of the canyon.
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS.