Monroe Lake advisories
- FAIRFAX SRA BEACH CLOSED: The beach and swimming area at Fairfax SRA are closed due to a waterline break that required the shutdown of restrooms and showers. The beach, swimming area, restrooms and showers at Paynetown SRA remain open for your use. Check back for updates.
- STATE ROAD 446 CONSTRUCTION: An asphalt resurfacing project will take place mid-June through mid-October 2020. Expect lane closures with flagging at various locations, from 1 mile south of S.R. 46 (Monroe County) to U.S. 50 (Lawrence County). Please use extra caution driving through this area.
- BLUE-GREEN ALGAE is at the ADVISORY alert level for the beach at MONROE LAKE (Paynetown SRA): Swimming and boating are permitted. Avoid contact with algae. Avoid swallowing water while swimming. Take a bath or shower with warm soapy water after coming in contact with lake water. Do not use lake water for cooking or bathing. Do not allow your pets to swim or drink water where algae are present. Check back for updates. Learn more about blue-green algae.
- PARK STATUS: Some DNR properties are reaching parking capacity for day use on busy weekends. Gates have been closed, or vehicles admitted only when others leave. For real-time status, follow Indiana State Parks on Twitter (@INDNRstateparks).
- The Indiana Department of Natural Resources has adjusted services, events and operations to protect Hoosiers and prevent further spread of COVID-19. Please visit on.IN.gov/dnrcovid19 for a listing of what is open, closed, restricted and canceled.
- Black Vultures: Birds may damage your vehicle. Learn how.
Upcoming Events at Monroe Lake
Paynetown SRA, Fairfax SRA, Allen's Creek SRA, Cutright SRA, Moore's Creek SRA, Salt Creek SRA, Pine Grove SRA, Crooked Creek SRA
23,952 acres - 10,750-acres lake
Water safety matters! If you use one of our big reservoirs for swimming, fishing, boating or skiing, check out Bobber the Water Dog, brought to you by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Boating / 9 Launch Ramps
- Fishing / Ice Fishing
- Fishing Piers
- Fourwinds Resort & Marina
- Gas Dock
- Hunting (Waterfowl Hunts)
- Interpretive Naturalist Services
- Nature Center
- Picnicking / Shelterhouse (Shelter Reservations)
- Rental - Fishing Boats, Pontoons
- Swimming / 2 Beaches (Policy)
Camping - See campground maps under MAPS tab
- Electric / 226 sites
- Non-electric / 94 sites
- Camp Store (Seasonal)
- Dumping Station
DESCRIPTION OF HIKING TRAILS
Note: For trail locations, view the property map under the MAPS tab.
BlueBird Trail (1.25 miles) Moderate—Forest and field trail in Paynetown State Recreation Area.
Tree Trek Trail (0.5 mile) Easy—Forest Ecosystem interpretive trail in Paynetown State Recreation Area.
Turkey Trot Trail (1.75 miles) MODERATE—Hike- In/Boat-In Camping Area in Allen’s Creek State Recreation Area.
Whitetail Trail (1 mile) MODERATE—Access trail for walk-in visitors at Paynetown State Recreation Area.
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS.