2023 Photo Contest Winners by Category
Black & White
Historic Preservation Month Photo Contest
- As of 2024: Photographer must select one of five contest categories on the entry form in which to enter their photo. The categories are Color, Black & White, Kids (Under age 18), Altered, and photos related to the annual Preservation Month theme.
- As of 2020: Images must be submitted as .jpg or .jpeg files. Printed photos will no longer be accepted. Each photo file must be less than 10MB and must have a completed entry form. Files should be emailed to DHPAConnect@dnr.IN.gov. Please submit one photo and one entry form per email to ensure the files do not exceed the size limits of state email accounts.
- Limit of three photograph submissions per photographer. Each photograph needs its own entry form.
- Subject of the image must be in Indiana, current (taken within last two years) and of a resource that is at least 50 years old.
- Do not include watermarks or signatures on the photo. Such markings will disqualify the photo from the contest.
- Images can be black & white or color and should be current (i.e., taken within the last two years).
- Deadline to submit photographs is the First Friday of April by 11:50 p.m. ET.
The 2024 Preservation Month theme is Indiana’s Scholastic Gymnasiums
Parameters for the “Altered Image” category
Basic cropping and other minor adjustments, including spotting, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast, and slight color adjustment or the digital equivalents are acceptable and DO NOT require entering the Altered Image category; however, if the photo has been edited, enhanced, or manipulated for artistic purpose by applying special effects (colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.), the Altered Image category MUST BE selected. Organizers/judges reserve the right to move an obviously altered photo to the Altered Image category.
Note: Photos may be used for office displays and promotions for the photo contest, Historic Preservation Month, and historic preservation, in general. These will include the DHPA Facebook page and DHPA website. Photos will not be used in for-profit publications. Photographs will be judged by a panel consisting of representatives from the DNR and other preservationists and/or photographers.
Winners will be announced in May during Historic Preservation Month. Be sure to follow DHPA’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/INdhpa) and the DNR Instagram account (@indianadnr) to follow along.