2020 Statewide Forest Assessment & Strategy Update
The Indiana Forest Action Plan is a 10-year strategic plan and assessment for the Indiana forest conservation community, our natural resource partners, land stewards, and conservationists. It encompasses all of Indiana’s approximately 5 million acres of statewide forest ownerships, including public and private, rural and urban. Its purpose is to identify shared goals and priorities that enable the leveraging of scarce funding toward impactful, landscape-scale forest conservation and desired future conditions.
The Forest Action Plan provides an analysis of forest conditions and trends, identifies strategies to ensure healthy trees and forests into the future, and delineates priority forest landscape areas. It offers long-term strategies to address threats to forest resources in the state, consistent with national priorities and meeting federal requirements.
The 2020 Forest Action Plan was developed by the Indiana Division of Forestry, in coordination with the Indiana Forest Stewardship Advisory Council, State Technical Committee, DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife, Hoosier National Forest, and other partners.
- April-July 2019: Solicit input from partners
- August-October 2019: Compile draft
- November-December 2019: DNR internal review
- January-March: Draft release and public comment review period
- February: Indiana Forest Stewardship Advisory Council meeting
- March-May 2020: Incorporate public feedback and comment into the final draft
- September 2020: Final draft release
- 2020 Forest Action Plan
- 2020 Forest Action Plan Public Comments
- 2020 Forest Action Plan Public Comments Response
- Forest Action Plan Requirements Checklist
- Letter to Partners from Indiana State Forester Seifert (April 2019)
- Indiana Forest Legacy Assessment of Need - Revised
- 2010 Statewide Forest Assessment
- 2010 Statewide Forest Strategy
Partners and stakeholders are welcome to submit feedback and provide comments on the Forest Action Plan at any time. For more information, please call 317-232-4105.
Page updated May 20, 2021