Background Check for Department of Child Services (DCS)
The mission of the Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS) is to protect children from abuse and neglect. DCS does this by partnering with families and communities to provide safe, nurturing and stable homes. DCS, pursuant to Federal and Indiana law, requires criminal and civil checks for those who reside or have direct contact with children under the supervision of DCS.
Specifically, Federal and Indiana law as well as DCS Policy requires the following checks to be completed with acceptable results returned:
- Fingerprint-Based National and State Criminal History Checks;
- Child Protective Services (CPS) History Checks;
- National Sex Offender Registry Checks;
- Local Law Enforcement Agency (LEA) Court Record Checks; and
- When applicable, Local Law Enforcement Agency Name Based Arrest Record Searches
DCS Central Office Background Check Unit (COBCU) responsibilities include but are not limited to the evaluation of criminal and civil check of the following:
- DCS Unlicensed Out of Home Placement;
- DCS Foster Family Home Licensing;
- DCS Adoptions;
- Employment or Volunteers with a DCS Licensed Residential Facility, Group Home or Licensed Child Placing Agency (LCPA); and
- Employment or Volunteers with DCS Contractor or Subcontractor Individuals or Agencies.
For all criminal history checks unrelated to an above DCS category within Indiana, please contact the Indiana State Police or visit their website at https://www.in.gov/isp/3257.htm.
Please click one of the below links for additional information on that topic.
- CPI/CPS Portal/Child Protective Index Checks/Child Protection Service History Checks/CANS/Adam Walsh Checks/Out of State Child Welfare Agency
- Additional information for out of state child welfare agencies requesting information related to ongoing investigations/assessments in their state.
- Indiana DCS Local County Offices Processing of CPS History Checks
- CPI/CPS Portal Frequently Asked Questions
- Administrative Letter Changes effective July 1, 2017:
COBCU Administrative Letter
- National Sex Offender Registry Checks
- Local Law Enforcement Agency (LEA) Court Record Checks
- Local Law Enforcement Agency Name Based Arrest Record Search
- DCS Contractor and Subcontractor Tools
- National and State Fingerprint Based Criminal History Check
- Contact Us