Close Menu

Getting a Protection Order

If you are the victim of domestic or sexual violence, or if you believe you or your children are in danger of being harmed by someone in your life, there is help for you. Throughout the state of Indiana, hundreds of trained advocates work every day to help victims find safety, and in many situations a protection order can be a useful tool.

Ready to request a protection order?

Start a request for a protection order by filing online. See our tutorials to learn how to get started or reach out to an advocate for help.

What to Expect When Filing for a Protection Order

Indiana has an online system to petition for protection orders, which means that you can seek assistance in the security and privacy of an advocate's office while the advocate prepares and files the petition electronically. The advocate will interview you to discover the necessary information for the court filing and will allow you to review and edit the forms before they are submitted to the court. While an original signature is needed on the papers filed with the court, most agencies will deliver the signed forms to the clerk’s office on your behalf.

Learn about protection order e-filing
View forms in PDF format

Enforcement of Protection Orders

Because all protection orders in Indiana are to be filed electronically—as mandated in 2009 by the Indiana General Assembly—police officers and FBI agents in the field have access to the most current information about these orders. This includes identification of the protected party or parties, identification and description of the respondent (defendant), whether a firearm restriction was ordered, and other important details.

When an order of protection is granted to you, you are advised to keep a copy with you at all times. However, that may not always happen. Now that the information is available to law enforcement electronically, this means that if you have a protection order filed in one county, and you travel to another county (or another state), if it becomes necessary for you to seek police assistance, local officers can access your protection order information even if you don't have a copy of it with you.

Protection Order Notifications and Online Search

In addition to the courts and law enforcement having online access to protection order information, a protection order search is now available on this website. Information about the victim is not included in the online records, but information about the respondent (defendant) and the order are. In addition, when you file a protection order, you can ask to be notified electronically—by text message and/or email—of events in the case, such as approval of the order by the court and service of the order on the respondent.

Search Protection Orders

Find a Victim Advocate in Your Area

For help finding an advocate or shelter, or for more information about domestic violence, visit the Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence (ICADV) website or call their 24-hour statewide hotline at 1.800.332.7385.

For detailed contact information for advocate organizations and shelters throughout the state, see the ICADV website.

The following organizations are users of Indiana's advocate access to file petitions for protection orders online.

CountyAdvocate Agency
AdamsAdams Wells Crisis Center
AllenYWCA Northeast Indiana
 Fort Wayne PD (Victims Assistance)
BartholomewTurning Point Domestic Violence Services
BlackfordJennings County Council on Domestic Violence
BooneA Better Way
 Family Crisis Shelter
 Domestic Violence Network
 Beacon of Hope Crisis Center
BrownTurning Point Domestic Violence Services
 Desert Rose Foundation
CarrollCarroll County Sheriff's Department
CassFamily Services Association of Howard County
ClarkCenter for Women and Families
ClayFamily Support Services of West Central Indiana
 Council on Domestic Abuse
ClintonYWCA of Greater Lafayette
CrawfordHoosier Hills PACT
 Crisis Connection
 YWCA of Evansville
DearbornSafe Passage
DecaturNew Directions
 Turning Point
 Jennings County Council on Domestic Violence
DekalbYWCA Northeast Indiana
 Center For Non-Violence
DelawareA Better Way
 Office of Victim Services Ball State University
DuboisCrisis Connection, Inc
 YWCA of Evansville
ElkhartYWCA of North Central Indiana
 Victim Assistance Services
FayetteYWCA Genesis
FloydCenter for Women & Families
FountainFamily Crisis Shelter
 Beyond the Violence - Valley Oaks Health
 Hope Springs Safe House
FranklinSafe Passage
FultonBeaman Home
GrantFamily Service Society, Inc./Hands of Hope/Flannery-Keal House
GreeneMiddle Way House
 Beacon of Hope
 Alternatives Inc.
 Coburn Safe Place Haven
 Domestic Violence Network
HancockJulian Center
 Coburn Safe Place Haven
 Salvation Army Ruth Lilly Women and Children’s Shelter
HarrisonHoosier Hills PACT
HendricksBeacon of Hope
 Sheltering Wings Center for Women
 Desert Rose Foundation
 Julian Center
 Coburn Safe Place Haven
HenryA Better Way
HowardFamily Service Association of Howard County
HuntingtonYWCA Northeast Indiana
 Center For Non-Violence
JacksonTurning Point Domestic Violence Services
 Jennings County Council on Domestic Violence
JasperNorth Central Indiana Rural Crisis Center
JayA Better Way
JeffersonTurning Point Domestic Violence Services
 Safe Passage
JenningsJennings County Council on Domestic Violence
JohnsonBeacon of Hope
 Turning Point Domestic Violence Services
 Desert Rose Foundation
 Julian Center
 Coburn Safe Place Haven
 Sheltering Wings Center for Women
KnoxHope's Voice
LaGrangeElijah Haven Crisis Intervention Center
LakeGary Commission for Women
 The Caring Place
 St. Jude House
LaPorteStepping Stone Shelter For Women, Inc
LawrenceHoosier Hills PACT
 Middle Way House
MadisonAlternatives, Inc.
MarionBeacon of Hope
 Julian Center
 Coburn Safe Place Haven
 Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence
 Families First
 Deaf School Police Department
 Desert Rose Foundation
 Sheltering Wings Center for Women
 Salvation Army Ruth Lilly Women and Children’s Shelter
MarshallYWCA of North Central Indiana
 Beaman Home
 Heminger House
MartinMiddle Way House
 Crisis Connection
MiamiFamily Service Association of Howard County
MonroeMiddle Way House
 Desert Rose Foundation
 POP at IU Maurer School of Law
MontgomeryFamily Crisis Shelter
 Sheltering Wings Center for Women
MorganDesert Rose Transitional Shelter
 Middle Way House
NewtonNorth Central Indiana Rural Crisis Center
NobleYWCA Northeast Indiana
 Center for Nonviolence
OhioSafe Passage
OrangeHoosier Hills PACT
 YWCA of Evansville
 Crisis Connection
OwenFamily Support Services of West Central Indiana
 Desert Rose Foundation
ParkeFamily Support Services of West Central Indiana
 Council on Domestic Abuse
PerryYWCA of Evansville
 Crisis Connection
PikeYWCA of Evansville
 Crisis Connection
PorterThe Caring Place
PoseyAlbion Fellows Bacon Center
 YWCA of Evansville
PulaskiNorth Central Indiana Rural Crisis Center
PutnamFamily Support Services, Inc.
 Family Crisis Shelter
 Sheltering Wings Center for Women
RandolphA Better Way
RipleySafe Passage, Inc.
 Jennings County Council on Domestic Violence
RushRush County Victims Assistance
St. JosephFamily Justice Center of St. Joseph County
 YWCA of North Central Indiana
ScottHoosier Hills PACT
ShelbyTurning Point Domestic Violence Services
SpencerYWCA of Evansville
 Crisis Connection
StarkeThe Caring Place
 Heminger House
SteubenCommunity Anti-Violence Alliance
SullivanCouncil on Domestic Abuse
SwitzerlandSafe Passage
TippecanoeYWCA Lafayette
TiptonFamily Services Association of Howard County
 Alternatives Inc.
UnionYWCA Genesis
VanderburghAlbion Fellows Bacon Center
 YWCA of Evansville
VermillionCouncil on Domestic Abuse
VigoVigo County Crime Victim Assistance Program
 Council on Domestic Abuse
WabashFamily Service Society, Inc./Hands of Hope/Flannery-Keal House
WarrickAlbion Fellows Bacon Center
WashingtonHoosier Hills PACT
WarrenBeyond the Violence  -  Valley Oaks Health
 Hope Springs Safe House
WayneYWCA Genesis
WellsYWCA Northeast Indiana
 Center for Nonviolence
 Adams Wells Crisis Center
WhiteYWCA of Greater Lafayette
WhitleyYWCA Northeast Indiana

Indiana's Protection Order Registry and its advocate access features were developed by Court Technology.

Getting help with your case

Court staff cannot give legal advice.

If you have questions about handling a legal matter, please contact a lawyer. See Getting Legal Help for some resources.

Contact your local clerk's office about where to file your forms, or learn about how to e-file.