The Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST) Instructor Development Course is a comprehensive instructor course. This five-day course is designed to impart the student-instructor with the knowledge and skills for instructing the SFST Course. The course concentrates on effective general teaching skills then incorporates the SFST curriculum. The 40 hours of classroom training include, but are not limited to, the following subjects: concepts of adult learning and teaching; teaching techniques; basic public speaking; effective classroom presentations; standardized field sobriety testing curriculum; drugs that impair driving curriculum; managing a live alcohol workshop and student instructor presentations of SFST curriculum sessions.
- Program Standards
- DWI Detection and Participant Manual (87MB PDF)
- Training Course Presentations (19 PPTs in 900MB ZIP)
- DWI Detection and Refresher Participant Manual
- Refresher Course Presentations (9 slide decks in 550MB ZIP)
- Instructor Training Registration
- DWI Detection and Instructor Guide (87MB PDF)
- Instructor Sign-Up for ILEA Basic Courses
- Instructor Refresher Training Registration
- DWI Detection and Refresher Instructor Guide
Courses for new Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST) instructors will be held at the Lawrence Police Department (5150 N Post Road, Lawrence, IN 46226). Existing SFST instructors are asked to sign up for the ILEA basic courses.