Language Translation
  Close Menu

Cervids (Deer Elk)

Subscribe for e-mail updates

Cervids include: deer, elk, moose and reindeer.

The Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH) registers and inspects all Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) susceptible farmed (captive) cervid facilities, regardless of the type of operation -hobby, breeding or hunting. CWD-susceptible species include: white-tailed deer, elk, red deer, sika, Japanese deer, spotted deer, mule deer, reindeer, wapiti, moose and hybrids of these species.

Owners of CWD-susceptible species must comply with the standards for either the registered herd program or the certification herd program.

Entry Into Indiana

Click here for requirements to import cervids into Indiana.

All CWD-susceptible cervid species must obtain a pre-entry permit from the Indiana State Veterinarian that authorizes the movement.

Pre-Entry Permit Application:  Download/Fillable PDF

The pre-entry permit application must be submitted to the State Veterinarian at least 5 business days before the projected movement date.

In-State Movements

Cervids 12 months of age or older must meet one of the following requirements:

  1. Test negative for tuberculosis within 90 days prior to movement.
  2. Originate from an accredited tuberculosis-free herd.
  3. Test negative as part of a whole herd test within the last year.

Cervids must have two forms of ID, an official ID tag and a unique secondary ID.

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

Report dead or sick/diseased wild deer to DNR:
  • Call: 1-844-803-0002
  • Online:  reporting form found here

More information about Indiana’s wild CWD situation in online.

Scroll down this page for information about farmed cervids and CWD.

  • Registered Herd Program
    The Registered Herd Program establishes minimum requirements for all known CWD-susceptible species. This program does not apply to herds in commercial trade because it does not meet interstate shipping requirements and herds do not gain CWD status.
    CWD Registered Herd Fact Sheet (PDF)
    Herd locations must be registered with BOAH (Premises ID)
    • Indiana Premises Registration Form: Online
    • Indiana Premises Registration Form: PDF
    Each animal must have two forms of ID, an official ID tag and a unique secondary ID
    • Identification must be applied when the animal is restrained for any reason such as: testing, vaccinating or treatment
    Maintain current inventory records
    Appropriate fencing used for species
    Annual inspection and inventory reconciliation by BOAH
    Not required to collect CWD samples on farmed cervids that die, are harvested or are slaughtered.
  • Certified Herd Program
    The Certification Herd Program is voluntary and provides a higher herd health rating than the "Registered Program" status.
    The Certification Herd Program is required for herds with animals moving interstate and/or in commercial trade.
    CWD Herd Certification Program Fact Sheet (PDF)
    Certification Herd Program Application
    Herd Location(s) registered with BOAH (premises ID)
    • Indiana Premises Registration Form: Online
    • Indiana Premises Registration Form: PDF
    Each animal must have two forms of ID, an official ID tag and a unique secondary ID
    All animals must be identified before 12 months of age
    Maintain current inventory records
    Test results for all deceased cervids must be maintained with herd records
    Minimum 8-foot tall fence which prevents egress and ingress of cervids
    Annual inspection and inventory reconciliation by BOAH
    Physical inventory every third year
    Must collect and submit CWD samples from all farmed cervids older than 1 year of age that die, are harvested or slaughtered.
  • CWD Certified Collector
    BOAH veterinarians are available to teach cervid owners how to collect CWD samples.
    If you would like training to be a CWD-certified collector, contact Dr. Shelly Chavis at: or 260-450-2139.

    Video: Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Sample Collection Tutorial

    Certified CWD Collector Application
    Farmed Cervidae CWD Sample Submission form, ADDL
    Certified CWD Collector Biosecurity Tips
    Certified CWD Collector Fact Sheet
  • Hunting Preserves
    Farmed Cervidae Hunting Preserve Licensing Program

    Click on the link above for the hunting preserve webpage.

  • Record Keeping Requirements
    Cervid owners are required to maintain a herd inventory that includes records on all cervids purchased, sold, born, harvested and died.

    Records must include: name(s) and addresses of buyers and sellers, date of birth, sex of all animals, all animal identifications, and date the animal was harvested or found dead.

    Cervids that are kept temporarily (transient animals) must also be documented. Transient animals include bottle-fed fawns, animals brought in for breeding, and any animal that is bought and sold that does not enter the owner's herd. A cervid producer buying and selling deer that do not commingle with the herd, are also required to keep the above records for deer movement.

    Record Keeping for Transient Cervids

    (Cervid owners do not have to use this form, it is provided as a sample.)

  • Identification
    Cervids are required to have two forms of ID:
    • One must be an official, tamper-resistant ear tag bearing a U.S. shield and a 15-digit number beginning with the "840" prefix or the NUES silver, steel tag.
    • The second, unique form of ID may be another ear tag, an electronic implant, a flank or ear tattoo, or the Indiana cervid herd tag. Current Indiana cervid herd tags and NAEBA ear tags are classified as "unique" secondary IDs.
    Guide to Cervid Official Identification

Disease Information

Reportable Disease List
Tuberculosis (TB)
Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD)
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

CWD is a neurological (brain and nervous system) disease found in deer, elk, and moose. CWD attacks the brains of infected cervids and is always fatal.

Helpful Links

Deer Hunter Info

Wild Hunted Deer Info

Click on the link above for health and disease information for wild-hunted deer.

Import Requirements for Carcasses, Meat and Other Parts

Click here for entry requirements for cervid carcasses, meat and other parts hunted in another state.

  • Click here for information on other states' carcass import regulations.

Movements Out of Indiana

Before moving animals to another state, always call the state-of-destination for that state's requirements. Click here for a list of other state animal health offices.

Lunch & Learn: CWD Update (May 2024)