Language Translation
  Close Menu

Information for Veterinarians

Indiana EEE Survey

This survey is designed to be a surveillance tool to assist public health in responding to the presence of EEE in the environment in Northern Indiana. 

Certificates of Veterinary Inspection

Tutorial Videos for Completing Electronic Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (eCVI)

Interstate and Export Travel

If your client is traveling from outside the United States: Click Here

Other State Animal Health Offices (Interstate Shipping Requirements)

Please review specific requirements by country and species before calling/submitting.

International Travel with a Pet (USDA)

International Regulations for Animal Exports (USDA)

INTERNATIONAL EXPORTS: Animal owners should work with their licensed and accredited veterinarian to complete this process:  USDA Veterinary Services has protocols for moving animals out of the United States. USDA offers these methods to submit export certificates for approval:

  1. Electronic: (NOTE: This will eventually be the only method for submission.) 
    USDA APHIS online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS)
  2. Mail: Include a return, prepaid FedEx, UPS, etc. envelope, and send to:
    USDA Veterinary Export Trade Service
    1111 Deming Way, Suite 100
    Madison, WI 53717
    Fax: (608) 662-0601
    Phone: (608) 662-0630


  1. READ the Pet Travel Guidance for Pets Traveling to Another Country from the United States, a step-by-step process to guide you and help you prepare for traveling with the pet, including obtaining endorsement.
  2. VISIT the APHIS Pet Travel Website to get detailed information about the destination country's health requirements, including necessary paperwork.
  3. SUBMIT the required paperwork given below. The veterinarian should choose Option 1 or Option 2, not both.

Option 1: Use the Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS). VEHCS can save time and money when submitting paperwork, including the health certificate. All countries allow the use of VEHCS to submit the health certificate for endorsement. An accredited veterinarian typically does this process.

Option 2: Ship the paperwork to USDA. Use the shipping address for the USDA Endorsement Office in Wisconsin (see above), which serves Indiana. Include The Pet Owners Checklist for Shipping Health Certificate(s) to a USDA Endorsement Office with the paperwork to ensure that all required documents are in the shipping package. Submitting an incomplete package will cause delays. Be sure to plan ahead to allow adequate time for shipping and processing once received.

YouTube Video Guide to Completing International Export Certificates

Disease Reporting

Continuing Education

Earn free continuing education credit by viewing videos on BOAH's YouTube channel and take the quiz for each video.


BOAH manages a roster of veterinarians and other personnel across Indiana who are part of the Veterinary Medical Reserve Corps (VMRC)/Animal Surveillance Emergency Response Team (ASERT). Learn more about this program at:

Disposing Sharps

Veterinary clinics should follow the sharp disposal guidelines for human supplies. A guidance brochure is available online at:

Opioids and Veterinary Medicine

Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD)

Questions about VFDs:  Contact FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine:


Indiana Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners

To serve veterinarians better, the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH) would like more information about your area(s) of interest and practice. This survey will help us direct information that is most helpful or of interest to you. Click here to take the survey