Designated Outdoor Refreshment Areas
Effective July 1, 2023, Indiana Code §§ 7.1-3-31 authorizes a municipality to create a Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (“DORA”). Essentially, a DORA allows patrons who are at least 21 years old to purchase alcoholic beverages from approved vendors and retail establishments within the DORA and carry them outside to be consumed within the DORA boundaries.
Establishing a DORA
In order to establish a DORA, a municipal legislative body must adopt an ordinance that includes the following required information:
- A map of the refreshment area in sufficient detail to identify its boundaries.
- The boundaries of the refreshment area, using street addresses.
- The location(s) of the proposed designated retail permittee(s) and temporary vendors within the refreshment area.
- A statement that the refreshment area is consistent with the municipality's zoning ordinance.
- The number, spacing, and type of signage designating the refreshment area.
- The dates and the hours of operation for the refreshment area, which may not violate IC 7.1-3-1-14.
A municipality may not establish more than seven (7) designated refreshment areas within its jurisdiction.
DORA Application Process
Once a DORA is established, the municipality is required to submit the following to the Commission:
- An application for approval of the refreshment area.
- The completed designation forms received by the municipality from retail permittees and temporary vendors to participate in the refreshment area.
- A copy of the ordinance adopted by the municipality under I.C. 7.1-3-31.
- A map of the refreshment area indicating where designated retail permittees are located within the DORA and where temporary vendors are permitted to operate.
To submit an application, please click here.
|Municipality||DORA Name||DORA Number||Local Ordinance||DORA Map|
|Kirklin||Travelers Point DORA||DA1200003||Ordinance No. 2023-8-2||View here|
|Lawrenceburg||Lawrenceburg DORA||DA1500005||Ordinance No. 7-2023||View here|
|Shelbyville||Downtown DORA||DA7300004||Ordinance No. 23-2984||View here|
|Yorktown||Downtown Yorktown||DA1800007||Ordinance No. 838||View here|