A person that sells, offers to sell, or advertises for sale at least twelve (12) vehicles in a 12 month period must be licensed by the Secretary of State. This includes a person who sells off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, or mini-trucks. Looking to become a licensed vehicle dealer in the State of Indiana? Just follow the steps below and you will be on your way! For additional assistance, view our Dealer Licensing Information pamphlet available here.
Step 1 - Important legal review
We encourage those wanting to obtain their dealer license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Step 2 - Completing the application
Dealer applications can be found here. Please review the application before filing it out and be sure to fill it out completely and submit all required documents with the application, as failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application.
The Following must be submitted with the completed application:
- Application fee - Click here for a list of licensing fees
- Complete a national criminal background check for all corporate officers of the dealer that will be named on the license, all partners of the dealer, and all owners of the dealer.
- Registered retail merchant certificate
- $25,000 surety bond
- Zoning Affidavit (State Form 55936)
- Insurance (Certificate of Liability)
- Copy of a valid photo ID issued by a government agency
- Photographs of the office and display buildings (both interior and exterior), sales and/or display lot(s), display, the dealer’s conspicuous, permanent sign identifying the dealer by the name in which the dealer is licensed and the dealership's hours of operation.
- Franchise agreement (only needed if you intend to sell new motor vehicles).
- a copy of the Certificate of Existence (if applicable).
- Federal Identification number provided by the Internal Revenue Service
- Business name and address on documents must match the business name and address listed on application
Step 3 - Sign, seal and mail!
Once you complete all of the steps and ensure all paperwork is filled out correctly, send your documents to our office at:
Office of the Indiana Secretary of State
Auto Dealer Services Division
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204