You need a dealer license if you sell, offer to sell, or advertise for sale at least twelve (12) vehicles in a 12 month period. This includes off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, and mini-trucks.
You need an automotive mobility dealer license if you do any of the following:
- engage in the business of selling, offering to sell, or soliciting/ advertising the sale of adapted vehicles or watercraft
- possess adapted vehicles or watercraft exclusively for the purpose of resale
- engages in the business of:
- selling, installing, or servicing;
- offering to sell, install, or service; or
- soliciting or advertising the sale, installation, or servicing of;
- equipment or modifications specifically designed to facilitate use or operation of a vehicle or watercraft by an individual who is disabled
Questions about completing the license application? Please review our License Application Guide
Step 1 - Important legal review
We encourage those wanting to obtain their dealer license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Step 2 - Completing the application
The dealer application (State Form 56187) can be found here. Please review the application before filing it out and be sure to fill it out completely and submit all required documents with the application. Failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application. The license application must be completed by a dealer owner or dealer manager.
The following must be submitted with the completed application. For additional details, please see the license application guide above:
- Zoning Affidavit (SF 55936)
- Indiana Vehicle Merchandising Certificate/Bond (SF 53966)
- Certificate of Insurance
- Photos of the Established Place of Business
- Business Entity Documentation
- Retail Merchant Certificate
- Photo Identification
- Background Check
- License Fee
- National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association Accreditation (mobility only)
Step 3 - Sign, seal and mail!
Once you complete all of the steps and ensure all paperwork is filled out correctly, send your documents to our office at one of the addresses below. Please include your dealer name in the memo line of any check you submit to our office
Mail: Office of the Indiana Secretary of State
Auto Dealer Services Division
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Email: email@example.com (please put License Application in the subject line)