2014 Evaluation Process
Public Law 286 was passed by the Indiana General Assembly in 2013, which creates Indiana Code 20-19-2-14.5 concerning the State Board of Education's responsibility to review Indiana's Academic Standards for Math and English/Language Arts. This charge specifically mandates the State Board to develop college and career readiness standards compliant with state and federal requirements before July 1, 2014 and to hold public hearings on the proposed standards prior to adoption.
Review and Evaluation Process
DOE and SBOE staff briefed the State Board on February 6, 2014 on the planned review and evaluation process. An overview and timeline of that process can be found below. The review and evaluation process includes multiple reviews by the State Board of Education. The Indiana Education Roundtable recommended the standards be adopted on April 21, 2014 along with a resolution to provide exemplary resource guides and curricular support. The Board gave final approval to the standards on April 28, 2014.
- Standards evaluation process presentation to Education Roundtable and SBOE (February 2014)
- Process update to panels (updated 3/24/2014)
- Proposed Implementation and Support Plan (post adoption)
- Final presentation to Indiana Education Roundtable (April 21, 2014)
- General timeline and overview of process (updated 4/13/2014)
- Gantt chart of important dates (updated 4/11/2014)
- Math and English/Language Arts Standards Evaluation Teams (final list, includes background)
- College and Career Readiness (updated 4/11/2014)
Proposed Academic Standards
The proposed drafts of Indiana Academic Standards for Math and English Language Arts can be found here.
Pursuant to IC 20-19-2-14.5(d)(2), the State Board held the following hearings. Hearing format and procedures information can be found here.
February 24, 2014 3:00PM - 7:00PM (watch)
Ivy Tech Community College-Southern Indiana
Horseshoe Foundation Assembly Center, Ogle Hall
8204 Highway 311
Sellersburg, IN 47172
February 25, 2014 3:00PM - 7:00PM (watch)
Indiana State Library
History Reference Room
315 W. Ohio St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
February 26, 2014 3:00PM - 7:00PM (watch)
Plymouth High School
Weidner School of Inquiry Room NT 201
810 Randolph Drive
Plymouth, IN 46563
Park in Lot 7, Enter through Door 7
Online Public Comment Form
The Department of Education and the State Board of Education accepted online public comments through 11 P.M. EDT on March 12, 2014.