Storytime Kits & Book Discussion Resources
Book Club Kits, Storytime Kits, & LEGO/DUPLO Kits
The Indiana State Library provides five types of kits for use by public library youth librarians across the state: Book Club Kits, LEGO Kits, DUPLO Kits, Storytime Kits, and Big Idea Storytime Kits. The specifics of each type of kit are detailed on this page.
Shipment of Kits: Please be aware that all Indiana State Library kits are shipped via the INfoExpress courier system. If your school or library is not part of this service, please work with the closest public library who does use INfoExpress to book your kits. Kits can only be used in Indiana.
Available titles: A complete list of available Book Club Kit titles and Storytime & Big Idea Storytime Kit titles is available in the Kit Keeper reservation system. See “Reserving Kits,” below to access it.
Lost items: Borrowers assume responsibility for items lost or missing from kits. We ask that the borrower replace the item with a new or gently used version of the original. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Teachers: Teachers may borrow Book and Storytime Kits.
- If your school uses INfoExpress, you may book the kits yourself.
- If your school does NOT use INfoExpress, ISL requests that you work with your public library to book your kits:
- ISL’s preferred method is that you ask a public librarian to book the kits for you. This is the easiest way to keep the public librarians in the loop when booking, and the best way to ensure that confusion is avoided and you receive your kit in a timely manner.
- However, teachers may book their own kits if they include their public librarian’s name when they reserve the kit, i.e “Teacher’s Name/Public Librarian’s Name.” Additionally, all reservation confirmations and shipping notifications should be forwarded to the public library contact by the borrowing teacher. More details on how teachers can reserve their own kits is included in this instructional video: https://youtu.be/5aEG4z3RW0I
Reserving Kits: Book Club, LEGO, DUPLO, Storytime, and BIG Idea Storytime kits can all be reserved via a system called Kit Keeper.
If you have questions or encounter any issues, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 317-234-5649.
Children/YA Book Club Kits
Book Club Kits are designed for public library book clubs, but can also be used for small reading groups at schools.
- Book Club Kits contain 15 copies of each title and a discussion guide.
- Book Kits check out for 90 days.
LEGO & DUPLO Kits
LEGO and DUPLO building helps develop early literacy and STEM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) skills through play and adult interaction.
- Each LEGO kit for use by Indiana libraries contains hundreds of LEGOs, a handful of bases, and many mini-figures.
- Each DUPLO kit contains hundreds of DUPLO blocks for play. Activity guides and articles are included to encourage and promote block play in your library.
- LEGO and DUPLO Kits can be checked out for 90 days.
- Only 2 LEGO kits and 2 DUPLO kits checked out per library system per year, please.
Storytime Kits & Big Idea Storytime Kits (Preschool)
Each thematic storytime kit for use by Indiana libraries contains books, manipulatives, music CDs and an activity guide – just about everything you need to present a preschool storytime (or two) at your library.
- All storytime kits come with activity guides that suggest how to use kit materials as well as suggestions for incorporating the Five Practices of the Every Child Ready to Read @ Your Library program into your storytime.
- Big Idea Storytime Kits have additional math and science elements. The kits feature hands-on activities created by the Vermont Center for the Book’s Mother Goose Programs as well as books and a guide to help plan your storytime.
- All Storytime Kits can be checked out for 60 days.
Additional Book Discussion Resources
Shared Book Discussion Resources List
This database is a listing of book discussion/club resources owned by and located at public libraries throughout Indiana. If your library has book discussion kits that you would like added to this list for sharing, please email StateWideServices and include the name(s) of the book discussion kit(s), number of books (indicate also if regular or large print) and other identifying information. The Indiana State Library assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged materials nor for problems which occur with the booking, delivery, or return of materials.
The State Library endorses Novel Conversations, Indiana Humanities' statewide lending library open to any Indiana library or civic book club. They lend more than 600 titles, primarily fiction and biography, to reading and discussion groups at libraries, senior centers, schools, and other organizations, free of charge. Books include classic titles such as Fahrenheit 451 and To Kill a Mockingbird, as well as contemporary titles such as The Help and The Time Traveler’s Wife. Novel Conversations titles are deliverable via INfoExpress.
Visit http://www.indianahumanities.org/programs/novel-conversations/ to take advantage of this great service.
Indiana Book Clubs
INBookClub is a discussion list for librarians and library staff who manage or support book clubs. The list is a forum for exchanging ideas and dealing with issues that relate to Book Clubs.
PDO SW 9-14-2017