Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Albert H. Vestal Papers
1899-1932, bulk 1917-1932
4 ms. boxes
Manuscript Section, Indiana Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Christina Baich, April 2006
Albert Henry Vestal was born on January 18, 1875, near Frankton, Madison County, Indiana. His parents were William and Mary (Jackson) Vestal. He taught for over six years in Nebraska and Indiana. On September 15, 1895, he married Madge Horn with whom he had two children, Vivian and Ralph. In 1896, he graduated from Valparaiso University, was admitted to the bar, and began practicing in Frankton, Indiana. After a short time in the office of Wood & Ellis, he formed his own partnership with James M. Farlow. His wife died on August 5, 1899. Vestal was remarried to Hulda Maude Malone on January 8, 1903.
From 1900 to 1906, Vestal was prosecuting attorney of the 50th judicial circuit. After leaving this office, he practiced in Anderson, Indiana, at the firm Vestal & Van Nuys. He ran for U.S. Congress in 1908 and 1914 and was defeated in both races. He was finally elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1916 and served in the next eight Congresses (1917-1932). Vestal served as the majority whip from 1923 to 1932. He died on April 1, 1932, in Washington, D.C.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. United States Congress. 13 Apr. 2006.
Brandon, Rodney H. Who is Who in Anderson. Anderson, IN, 1908.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Prominent and Representative Men of Indianapolis and Vicinity Containing Biographical Sketches of Business and Professional Men and of Many of the Early Settled Families. Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1908.
The bulk of the collection is invitations, programs, and announcements for social events in Washington, D.C. Other items include clippings related to Vestal’s work in Congress; his diary and other materials from his trip to California and Alaska (1927); speeches; a record of assistance given to World War I veterans and their families in his congressional district; and a transcript of headlines made by Vestal during 1917.
The collection is organized by document type and sometimes by subject. All of the folders are arranged alphabetically by title.
Box 1. Alaska-Invitations and calling cards
1. Alaska and California trip materials, 1923, July-Sept. 1927
2. Alaska and California trip diary, July-Sept. 1927
3. Bills proposed by Vestal, 1929-1931
4. Clippings, 1924-1932, undated
5. Correspondence and financial papers, 1899-1929
6. Correspondence and financial papers, 1930-1931, undated
7. Headlines transcript, 1 Apr.-21 Aug. 1917
8. Headlines transcript, 22 Aug.-30 Dec. 1917
9. Invitations and calling cards, 1925-1927
10. Invitations and calling cards, 1 Jan.-14 Feb. 1928
11. Invitations and calling cards, 15 Feb.-31 Mar. 1928
Box 2. Invitations and calling cards
1. Invitations and calling cards, 3 Apr.-13 May 1928
2. Invitations and calling cards, 15 May-17 Nov. 1928
3. Invitations and calling cards, 5 Dec. 1928-31 Jan. 1929
4. Invitations and calling cards, Feb. 1929
5. Invitations and calling cards, 1 Mar.-28 June 1929
6. Invitations and calling cards, 2 July 1929-1 Jan. 1930
7. Invitations and calling cards, 17 Jan.-15 Feb. 1930
8. Invitations and calling cards, 16 Feb.-30 Mar. 1930
9. Invitations and calling cards, 2 Apr.-30 May 1930
Box 3. Invitations and calling cards-Record of services to veterans
1. Invitations and calling cards, 7 June 1930-20 June 1932, undated
2. Memberships and pamphlets, 1924-1931, undated
3. Memorial addresses delivered in Congress, 25 May 1932
4. Notes, 1925, undated
5. Programs and menus, 1927-1928
6. Programs and menus, 1929
7. Programs and menus, Jan. 1930
8. Programs and menus, Feb. 1930-1932, undated
9. Record of services to veterans, 1922-1929
10. Record of services to veterans, 1922-1929
11. Record of services to veterans, 1922-1929
Box 4. Record of services to veterans-Speeches
1. Record of services to veterans, 1922-1929
2. Record of services to veterans, 1922-1929
3. Record of services to veterans, 1922-1929
4. Speeches, 1925-1931, undated
Size of Collection:
4 manuscript boxes
1899-1932, bilk 1917-1932
Access: This collection is open for research.
Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library. Possession of a reproduction from an Indiana State Library collection does not constitute permission for use.
Language Materials are entirely in English
L384, Maude Vestal Papers
Search the Indiana State Library's Online Catalog.