"I am excited to invite all Hoosier women from across the state, and across every walk of life, to submit their artwork. There is no better way to tell the story of our great state than through the eyes and artistic expression of Indiana's women, their unique perspectives, interests, and personal experiences," said Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch. ”I want to personally reach out and include women whose experiences may include the challenges of a disability, domestic violence, addiction, incarceration, or homelessness…this competition welcomes all Hoosier women with open arms.”
The 2017 HWA contest is open for submissions from Monday, March 20th - Wednesday April 19th.
New for 2017:
- In addition to the inclusion of the Indiana Arts Commission as a sponsoring partner, new for this year, pieces of art will also be selected by First Lady Janet Holcomb, Secretary Connie Lawson, Auditor Tera Klutz, and Superintendent of Public Instruction Jennifer McCormick to display in their respective offices.
2017 Time Frame:
- March 21 - competition formally announced (online submission portal opens)
- April 19 - deadline for submission
- May 5 - artists notified of selection
- May 19 - 2017 Hoosier Women Artists celebration at the Indiana Statehouse (11am - 12pm)
- The contest celebrates a wide variety of visual arts including drawing, painting, and photography. Past entries have included – but are not limited to – portraits, landscapes, still lifes, animals, buildings, interdisciplinary arts, and abstracts.
- Submit one entry per artist to be considered
- Framed wall art only (must be able to hang on a wall)
- Maximum dimensions (including frame): 42”x60”
- Maximum weight: 60 lbs
- Must be installation ready, including hanging wires
- Submissions will be made at the Indiana Arts Commission Portal.
- Applicants will need to create a username and password and select Hoosier Women Artists as the program name.
- Actual artwork should not be submitted for judging. (It will be the artist’s responsibility to pick up materials if submitted.)
- Deadline for submitting applications is 5:00pm EST on Wednesday, April 19, 2017. Late entries will not be considered.
- Q: Are there age restrictions?
- A: We welcome submissions from all ages, however the pieces will be reviewed and selected based on the same criteria, there is no consideration for age groups.
- Q: Are there any exceptions to the artwork being framed?
- A: We are able to accept submission of artwork that is not framed, but is able and ready to hang on a wall.
- Q: If my piece is chosen, when does it need to arrive at the Statehouse?
- A: The artwork would need to arrive before or on the morning of May 19, 2017 for display at the celebration (the art is placed on easels during the event ahead of being hung in the various offices.)
- Q: If my piece is chosen, how long will it be on display?
- A: The time commitment is for one year (May 2017 - May 2018)
Note to the 2016 Hoosier Women Artists:
- Traditionally, artists have been asked to allow us to enjoy the work up until the week or so before the next year's celebration. However, with the expanded time frame this year, we understand your commitment was through March of 2017, so if you need to pick up your piece before May, you are welcome to do so.
- Please contact Emily Duncan at email@example.com or 317-471-9048 to make arrangements.
- Past Hoosier Women Artists are welcome to submit artwork in the 2017 competition.