- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana Department of Insurance

IDOI > Producer and Agency Licensing > Agents > Resident Licensing > Resident Licensing Requirements Resident Licensing Requirements

Indiana residents desiring any type of insurance license must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Maintain principal place of residence or principal place of business in Indiana
  • Successfully complete a pre-licensing education program (when required) and an examination (when required)
  • Not have committed any act that is a ground for denial, suspension or revocation of a license
  • Submit the appropriate forms, application, and nonrefundable fees for the desired license.

The application fee is $40 for each of the following licenses: Life; Health; Life and Health; Property and Casualty; Personal Lines; Consultant; and Title. For the application fee for a Public Adjuster license see "Public Adjuster" section on this page.

In accordance with Indiana Insurance Code, IC 27-1-15.6-5, before becoming licensed by the department each applicant for licensing as an insurance producer, surplus lines producer or insurance consultant must pass an examination for the line(s) of authority for which application is made. The examination tests the candidate’s knowledge concerning the line(s) of authority, duties and responsibilities of a licensee and the Indiana insurance laws and administrative rules.

There are no pre-licensing examinations for Limited Lines licenses or Title license.

Back to top

Pre-Licensing Resident Education Requirements

Pre-licensing education requirements are established to ensure an entry level knowledge about the products and services that producers offer to the public. In addition, license candidates must understand and comply with the statutes and rules affecting insurance. You must meet the following requirements before applying for a license.

Line(s) of Insurance

Course Hours





Life & Health


Personal Lines Property and Casualty


Personal & Commercial Property and Casualty




State-approved pre-licensing self-study courses may be used to fulfill classroom requirements.

Access a current list of authorized pre-licensing schools from Sircon

You may also access the Sircon website for the following information:

  • Transcript Inquiry
  • Available Course Offerings
  • Approved Courses
  • Approved Providers

A pre-licensing education Certificate of Completion will be issued by your pre-licensing school at the end of your course. The certificate is valid for six months. You must pass your exam and apply for your license during this six-month period.

You must take the Certificate of Completion with you to the test center the day of the exam.

Back to top

Waiver of Pre-Licensing Education Requirements

You may be exempt from pre-licensing education requirements if you hold at least one of the following designations:

  • Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU)
  • Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
  • Chartered Financial Consultant (CFC)
  • Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
  • Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC)
  • Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI).

Back to top

Exam Contents Study Material

The Examination Content Outlines were developed to identify and classify the entry level knowledge that insurance producers need to properly serve their clients.

Test questions were researched and developed based on questions submitted to industry professionals in Indiana for review and approval. This process assures that the tests reflect content that you, as an entry-level producer, will need to know to properly perform your duties for the insurance-buying public.

  • Be certain that the study materials you use cover the topics in the outlines
  • IDOI does not specify an official study manual but provides a list of approved PE providers and the Examination Content Outlines.
  • Providers of pre-licensing study courses select appropriate study materials, which (when combined with classroom lectures and discussion) should cover the material contained in the approved content outlines.
  • You may obtain study material suggestions from insurance companies, the company or agency for which you plan to work or local insurance and agents' associations.
  • IDOI does not advise using examination questions on the market in CD format as a basis of study.

Study Materials for Indiana Laws and Regulations

If you requested and received a waiver for the pre-licensing course requirement you should review the outlines for the Indiana Laws and Regulations. If you wish additional review, you are free to use material of your own choosing to assist in preparation for the license examination.

The examination content outlines contain a section on Indiana Statutes. In addition to the study material, you may wish to consult a standard statute reference. These standard statute reference sources are generally available at any public or law library.

Not all questions on the examinations will necessarily be covered in your course(s) or the study manuals. The content outlines are updated periodically and may not be consistent with outdated study material in the manuals. Where such discrepancies exist, the outlines take precedence.

Back to top

Continuing Education Audits

If you have received a continuing education audit letter, you will have 15 days to fax copies of Certificates of Completion to the Department. You may not use:

  • Hours used to satisfy previous license renewal periods
  • Certificates from unapproved providers
  • Another state's certificates

You may not take the same course more than once in a license renewal period. If you do not respond to an audit request your license will be suspended.

IDOI maintains a record of producer continuing education hours in the Sircon data base. Maintaining such a record is also the responsibility of the producer. These certificates are the proof of a course completion if a producer is audited.

Unless your records are being audited do not send your certificates to IDOI.

Back to top

Non-Resident Requirements

With the exception of bail bond or recovery agent licenses and unless denied licensure under Indiana law, a nonresident will receive a nonresident producer's license if the nonresident is from a state that grants nonresident licenses on a reciprocal basis and the nonresident submits:

1. A properly completed NAIC Uniform Application
2. A nonrefundable application fee of $90.

No pre-licensing study course or examination is required. A nonresident license will grant the same scope of authority as granted by the producer’s home state.

Back to top

New Resident

Producers moving into Indiana from other states must satisfy all licensing requirements applicable to resident agents. However, if the new resident producer was previously licensed for the same line(s) of authority in another state, he/she will be exempt from any pre-licensing education and examination requirements if:

1. Application is made within 90 days of establishing residence in Indiana;
2. The producer is currently licensed in another state or cancelled the previous license not more than 90 days prior to submitting the application; and
3. The producer submits a resident state insurance department clearance letter, indicating that the applicant is or was, at the time of cancellation, in good standing in that state.

Back to top


IC 27-1-15.6-23 provides for an Insurance Consultant License. The code stipulates that an individual or corporation shall not engage in the business of an insurance consultant until a consultant license has been issued to the individual or corporation.

Once licensed as a consultant, the person may not continue to hold an insurance producer or limited lines producer license. No licensed consultant may employ, be employed by, be in a partnership with or receive any remuneration whatsoever from any licensed insurance producer, surplus lines insurance producer, limited lines producer or insurer, except that a consultant may be compensated by an insurer for providing consulting services to the insurer. No consultant license is required for the following:

1. Attorneys licensed to practice law in Indiana acting in their professional capacity
2. A duly licensed insurance producer or surplus lines insurance producer
3. A trust officer of a bank acting in the normal course of his/her employment
4. An actuary or a certified public accountant who provides information, recommendations, advice or services in her/his professional capacity.

Prior to rendering any service, a consultant must submit for the Commissioner's approval the written agreement intended for use.

Requirements for Licensure:

Successfully pass the pre-licensing exam for the line of authority you will be consulting. A Waiver of Pre-Licensing Requirement must be obtained from the Department of Insurance to sit for the exam

Application fee of $40.00 - check or money order made payable to the Indiana Department of Insurance

Application may be found at this link

Additional resources:

Exam Registration and Scheduling

Indiana Code of Law:

If you have any questions, please call Megan Canfield at (317) 232-5265

Public Adjuster

IC 27-1-27 provides for a Public Adjuster license. The code stipulates no individual or corporation shall act within Indiana as a public adjuster, or receive, directly or indirectly, compensation or reward for services rendered in the adjustment of any claim or claims unless the person holds a certificate of authority to act as such public adjuster.

Indiana resident applicants must meet the following requirements in order to obtain a Public Adjuster License:

  • Completed Uniform Application for Producers
  • An adjuster's bond is required in the amount of $10,000
  • A fee of $50.00 (1 year license fee) must accompany the application letter (Illinois is $125 for Business and Individual)
  • Exam (waiver is required and is obtained from the Dept of Insurance)
  • Return the waiver, signed and dated Indiana Code 27-1-27-4 & -5 (study outline available)

Non-Resident applicants must meet the following requirements in order to obtain a Public Adjuster License in Indiana:

  • All of the Above
  • A Home State Certification must be submitted. Letters of Certification cannot be older than six months.
  • Exam is required only if not licensed in Home State

Public Adjuster licenses expire on December 31st of each year. You will be required to pay the renewal fee by that date to keep your license valid. Renewals are open for 60 days prior to the expiration date.

All questions on Public Adjuster Licensing can be directed to Megan Canfield at (317) 232-5265 or

Back to top

Title Agents

IC 27-1-15.6-18(4) provides for limited insurance producer license for persons who solicit or negotiate only title insurance products. Any person who conducts a real estate closing on behalf of a title insurance producer or title insurance company in which a title insurance policy is issued or is to be issued must be a licensed insurance producer.

Resident applicants must meet the following requirements in order to obtain a Title Insurance License.

  • Complete not less than ten (10) hours of instruction in a structured setting or comparable self-study on:
    1. ethical practices in the marketing and selling of title insurance;
    2. requirements of the insurance laws and administrative rules of Indiana;
    3. principles of title insurance, including underwriting and escrow issues; and
    4. principles of the federal Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (12 U.S.C. 2608).
  • Obtain a certificate of completion from the education provider. This certificate is valid for six months.
  • Submit an application and the $40.00 application fee online at or
  • Pre-licensing education information is required to be submitted by the education provider.

Non-Resident Title Agent Not Licensed in Home State

Non-residents seeking a Title license in Indiana living in a state that does not license for it may apply for an Indiana Designated Home State Title license. Applicants must complete the same requirements as Indiana residents. This includes completing the 10-hour pre-licensing education course, an online application at or, and submitting the $90 nonresident license application fee.

Back to top