DCS Ombudsman Guidelines
Agency and Complainant Rights and Responsibilities
in the DCS Ombudsman Bureau Complaint Process
Complainants are entitled to:
- A timely response acknowledging receipt of the complaint.
- Professional and respectful communication from agency staff.
- An impartial review.
- A credible review process.
- Contact by the Bureau if additional information is required.
- Communication regarding the outcome of the review.
- Attempt to resolve problems with the local office prior to filing a complaint.
- Complete the complaint form as directed.
- Ensure that the allegations in the complaint are pertinent to the role of the ombudsman.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of requested information.
- Communicate respectfully with agency staff.
DCS Ombudsman Bureau Rights
The Bureau may:
- Decline to accept a complaint that does not fall within the jurisdiction of the Bureau.
- Determine the level of review, the documentation and interviews necessary for gathering the information required to determine findings.
- Expect the complainant to provide any additional information requested.
- Determine when a case requires no further action.
DCS Ombudsman Bureau Responsibilities
The Bureau shall:
- Complete reviews in a timely manner.
- Complete a thorough and impartial review.
- Ensure professional and respectful communication.
- Provide the results of the review to the complainant in accordance with IC 4-13-19-5.