- Overview of the Collections
- Alphabetical Subject Index
- Online Collection Indexes
- Accession Policy
- Finding Aids
- Ordering Records from the State Archives
- Transferring Records TO the State Archives (for state agencies)
- New Treasures at the Indiana State Archives
Each section contains a brief description of the collections available in each area; some sections also feature online exhibits and searchable indexes. Where possible, pointers are provided to additional outside sources for records not collected by the State Archives.
This is merely an overview of the most frequently researched areas; many other state government records are available which may not fit into these general categories.
- Veterans and Families
- Civil War Records - Overview
- Civil War Records - Governor Oliver P. Morton
- Other Early Military Records
- Central State Hospital
- Indiana Hospitals for the Mentally Ill and Developmentally Disabled
- The History of the Regulation of Medical Practice in Indiana: 1850-1900
- Dillinger Gang
- Index to Life Prisoners' Statements: State Prison at Michigan City
- Department of Corrections
- State Constitutions
- Elected Officials and Indiana Law
- Governor Oliver P. Morton
- Indianapolis/Marion County Employees
Additional Outside Sources for Researchers
- Where To Find Other Record Types: Personal and Family Papers, Private Organizations and Businesses, Local and Municipal Records
- Other History Resources
- Local County Library and Historical Society Directory
- Clerks of the Circuit Court
Contact the Indiana State Archives.
Note: When sending an email to the Indiana State Archives, please be sure to include a very clear subject heading, i.e, Civil War, Soldier's Home, Hospital Records, Morton Telegrams, etc. Emails without a clear subject heading may be mistaken as spam or a potential virus and be filtered out automatically. If you have not received an initial response from the Indiana State Archives within a few weeks, please resubmit your request.