LaPorte County Courthouse
Location: 813 Lincolnway & Michigan Avenue, SE corner of La Porte County Courthouse lawn, LaPorte. (LaPorte County, Indiana)
Installed: 2001 Indiana Historical Bureau, La Porte County Board of Commissioners, and La Porte County Historical Society, Inc.
ID# : 46.2001.1
County formed by Indiana General Assembly and La Porte selected county seat 1832. Three courthouses built on this site: first 1833, second 1847-1848. Present courthouse constructed 1892-1894 of Lake Superior Red Sandstone; designed by Brentwood S. Tolan of Fort Wayne in Richardsonian Romanesque Style. Incorporates cornerstone from 1848 courthouse.
Features include open-arched central tower, stained glass window transoms, wood paneling, and gilded friezes. Goddess of Justice stained glass graces courtroom. Tower has 272-piece glass skylight; gargoyles decorate exterior. Included in Downtown La Porte Historic District, listed in National Register of Historic Places 1983.
Government Institutions, Buildings and Architecture