James F.D. Lanier 1800-1881
Location: 511 First & Elm Streets near Ohio River at Lanier Mansion State Historic Site, Madison. (Jefferson County, Indiana)
Erected by the Indiana Civil War Centennial Commission, 1963
ID# : 39.1963.2
Rendered his most important public service during the Civil War when he loaned Governor Oliver P. Morton over $400,000 to equip Indiana's troops. He later arranged additional loans to save the credit of the state.
Military, Business, Industry, and Labor