October 14, 2002 - Scottsburg Depot
Scottsburg Depot (72.2002.4)
Scott County, Indiana
View the annotated text for this marker.
Historical Marker Text:
Built 1872. One of the classic "combination" depots for passengers and freight, with board and batten siding, wide overhanging roof, and agent's bay window. Interior included separate waiting rooms for men and women. Served as depot until early 1950s. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1991 and moved one block north to preserve it.
Jeffersonville Railroad came through this area by 1852; when platted as new county seat 1871, Scottsburg was located on this line. Railroad was important in subsequent economic development of town and area. Depot was restored, assisted by federal transportation funds, for reuse as Scottsburg Heritage Station; it was dedicated 1996.
Plan for Scottsburg Depot from Cunningham Collection (Scottsburg), Company Plan.
Marker dedication October 14, 2002